• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laptop

krazyk5

Well i'm looking at getting a laptop as my new computer but have always had a desktop. I dont want the best or the worst but just good bang for my buck. I will only be running very few programs on it the main one will be Signlab. I'm aware of the requirements to run the programs but I shopped around this weekend and there are so many out there. Any advice would be great.

binki

get one with separate memory for the video. it wont be as good as a desktop but it will be better than shared memory.

get the fasted hard drive and bus you can afford as well as as much video memory you can get.

this will aid in graphics rendering and in the speed of applications that cache to disk for memory.

Graphics.Atl

I have been an HP fan for many years, but recently I have changed my mind, my latest one, the dv6504 has left much to be desired. Poor battery life and although trivial, HP actually shipped this machine without a functioning driver for the webcam and to date still do not have one. They just didn't do the best to make it Vista ready. Just my 2 cents

I have 2 Dell laptops & am very happy with them. They have 4 gigs of ram and xp pro. If you by from there business end you will get a 3 year warrenty on the computer.

SignBurst PCs

If you are doing any large designs, you may regret moving to a laptop. Laptop lack performance compared to an equally spec'd desktop.

If you need to move to a laptop due to mobility and portability concerns, and you have to do larger designs, I would get me something with a little "teeth" to it. A 10k hard drive and 4-8GB of RAM.

I really guess that it depends on what you are planning to do with it. After reading your post, it sounds like you are going to use it as a "do everything" computer and that might leave you a little disappointed.

signpro

Manager
what he said... laptops tend to be slightly slower... however, if you're set on a laptop, talk to a reputable computer shop, and have something built to suit your needs, plus 25% more!!! i had my friend who runs a computer shop build my laptop, even at his cost it costs a little more than bestbuy/etc, but i couldn't be happier. and i know it's great product. plus he takes care of it, cleans it up, etc... whenever i need. not that HP doesn't make good stuff, but it's still run of the mill mass produced laptops...

things to look for... processor, HD speed, and RAM. keep in mind though, if you run WIN-XP, it can only handle 2gigs of RAM if i'm not mistaken. and moving up to Vista might suck too... i had it for a short time at work, and went back to XP. personal preference though maybe??

SignBurst PCs

things to look for... processor, HD speed, and RAM. keep in mind though, if you run WIN-XP, it can only handle 2gigs of RAM if i'm not mistaken. and moving up to Vista might suck too... i had it for a short time at work, and went back to XP. personal preference though maybe??

XP and Vista (32 Bit) can use up to 4GB, most likely will show 3.25 - 3.6GB

XP and Vista (64 Bit) can use more than 4GB, but you need to make sure that your software is 64 Bit compatible.

TonyHoles

I have always hated HP for years and this was due to their crappy desktops dating back several years but IMO they have really turned things around...atleast on the laptop side of things.

I have always used Dell laptops in the past until about a year ago. I have researched HP laptops for a few months before pulling the trigger. I was looking for most bang for the buck (or atleast a bang for my few bucks).

I have the hp9700t 17" display, 2.0 dual core intel, 4 gig RAM, 512 dedicated 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS, 320g HD, etc...built in webcam, an attached remote control, a bunch of other cool features...I guess you can tell I like it.

I bought it for $999.00 a year ago. Probably even more affordable now. It's great! I do a lot of my designs from the comfort of my bed...lol.