• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large format Cricut??

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just in to WalMart tonight and saw that Cricut now boasts a 24 inch cutter. I'm sure print capabilities are not too far behind.

Edserv

We quote a lot of jobs for people who have had the vinyl printed by a web company but have no idea how to install it. We just quoted a job today that a company paid a lot of money to have the 3M vinyl printed for their company truck and sent it for them to apply themselves. They are going to end-up paying way more "doing it themselves" than having a credible local company take care of this. It's kind of like doing the plumbing yourself versus hiring a professional. This is not easy. We should all try to post on our websites educational articles about what it really takes!
Chris

Locals Find!

Thank Goodness they are limited to using the pre-programmed design options. When they start allowing custom designs right from Illustrator or Corel I will start getting nervous. Until then this is for those clients none of us wanna deal with to begin with anyway. That only care about price.

RebeckaR

Actually... there is software to run this machine from your pc. It's non-proprietary so the makers of the Cricut are constantly trying to shut them down.

In reading some comments on a forum wherein the cost of this machine is being discussed, it seems the $500 price tag is much too high for most of the "mommies" to fork over.

CheapVehicleWrap

Actually... there is software to run this machine from your pc. It's non-proprietary so the makers of the Cricut are constantly trying to shut them down.

In reading some comments on a forum wherein the cost of this machine is being discussed, it seems the $500 price tag is much too high for most of the "mommies" to fork over.

Only way I see that happening is firmware.
And based on other observations, $79 is difficult to come up with for most people Mommy or Daddy.

WildWestDesigns

I think that's the price tag for the Pazzles die cut machine that does come with software and it isn't the large format either. I just think it can cut different materials other then just vinyl, so I think that's why it commands a higher price.

I really don't think these are going to be so pervasive in the market place to take over what most of us can do. Even though people try to use them for commercial purposes, they aren't designed for it and there are ways for the makers to tell if the "mommies" try to get something done under warranty and they used it for commercial means.

Also, like what has been said numerous times before, they people that do get stuff from Cricut users are mainly the tire kickers and I don't see them using our services anyway.

Paupau

Ok, I know about these things. Provo craft which is the marker of the cricut has 3 types of cutters out. 1) the Bug, Create and Expression for crafting. 2) the Cake, Baby Cake for food safe cutting and 3) the Image the $600 Print and cut machine.

Now Provo craft intention was for these machines to only be used with the cartridges (limited expensive fonts and artware they provided separately) they also have a design software, Design Studio and a mobile design tool, the Gypsy.

The company that makes the Pazzles helped Provo with designing the Circut.

2nd party software makers come up with a software that made it possible to cut directly from the Cricut by passing the expense of the add ons, thus the Provo vs Software Designers legal controversy.

Wild West you are right, these users are not going after your market.
However, Adtechia, if thats what makes you nervous, be nervous. With this 3rd party software, users don't cut directly from it but designs from Illy, Corel and inkscape can be imported and cut.

Make The Cut is an awesome program that has lots of design and cutting features that also supports cutters beyond the Cricut, (your Rolands, P-Cuts, LaserCuts, Graptecs and more). There is also FairyCut, (not familiar to this one, like Funtime/WinsignPC) and Sure Cuts A Lot. There features go beyond sign making, but came be use for rhinestones, screenprinting - Yudo rocks.
Now don't under estimate the buying power of the "Mommies" its not just the $79.00 or the $600 for the machine, it's the value of the purchase. If you haven't seen a mother McGuyver a meal to feed four with 2 slices of bread a can of tuna and a $1.49 budget , you haven't seen a woman on a mission. They want a lot for that kind of money.

As I mentioned before the Cricut was made to run by carts, these range for $29.00-$99 each, my numbers my be off, but I think there's pretty close if not more the 200 carts on the market and some users have each and everyone. So it's not always the money, it's the bang for the buck.

The Make The Cut software ($59.00). has made contour cutting possible with out the expense of the $600 Imagine machine, and to get the full benefit of the machine you need the $200-300 add on Gypsy and a multitude of carts.

There are three types of circut people. The one totally dedicated to Provo who'll forever buy that next new machine or cart.

2-the ones who use the carts but like the design freedom of the 2 party software

3-these are the one who like the cricut but want more, left the cart behind and do their own designing. These are the one that will be leaving the cricuts behind and moving on to this market of machinery.

Old Sign... It not the 24" printer yet, it the epson WF1100 with printable vinyl and contour cutting with MTC. Slowly but surely.