• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large format printers with best color consistency?

CMGman

Hello We have a HP latex 310 that has been nothing but a pain when it comes to color consistency for years and years. We are looking to replace it and we are open for suggestions keeping in mind that color consistency is critical. We currently output on paper canvas and vinyl.
Thank you

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Hello We have a HP latex 310 that has been nothing but a pain when it comes to color consistency for years and years. We are looking to replace it and we are open for suggestions keeping in mind that color consistency is critical. We currently output on paper canvas and vinyl.
Thank you
I have a 315...color consistency is a problem. I'm very frustrated. What has your solution been for getting colors consistent? I love the machine, but the colors, I have to triple check.

CMGman

I have a 315...color consistency is a problem. I'm very frustrated. What has your solution been for getting colors consistent? I love the machine, but the colors, I have to triple check.
Unfortunately do do not have a solution. We can print the exact same file on the exact same media with the exact same profile 10 times and get 10 different results, mostly various levels of to much magenta. Very, very frustrating. We have wasted countless rolls of media. We sometimes have to go into photoshop and modify colors to try and compensate but as the prints progress the colors change on the fly. Sorry to hear your having the same issues. Best of luck!

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Unfortunately do do not have a solution. We can print the exact same file on the exact same media with the exact same profile 10 times and get 10 different results, mostly various levels of to much magenta. Very, very frustrating. We have wasted countless rolls of media. We sometimes have to go into photoshop and modify colors to try and compensate but as the prints progress the colors change on the fly. Sorry to hear your having the same issues. Best of luck!
We did a bus and did the same exact thing. Printed the same file on the same media and the orange on it came out different 3 different times. My partner swears its the software. I have been reading and it looks like it's an HP issue. I have to go in and physically change the color on Flexi software in order for it to print correctly. It changes it in the between exporting it in coreldraw and importing into flexi. I just don't understand why it's happening.

CMGman

We did a bus and did the same exact thing. Printed the same file on the same media and the orange on it came out different 3 different times. My partner swears its the software. I have been reading and it looks like it's an HP issue. I have to go in and physically change the color on Flexi software in order for it to print correctly. It changes it in the between exporting it in coreldraw and importing into flexi. I just don't understand why it's happening.
Sorry I cant be of more help. We have been dealing with this issue for years. We are convinced that it is an HP issue, even the HP people have said as much. It's a lemon.

CMGman

Sorry I cant be of more help. We have been dealing with this issue for years. We are convinced that it is an HP issue, even the HP people have said as much. It's a lemon.
One reason we are convinced its the printer is that we have trialed onyx, caldera beside our Flexi and have had similar issues. We can run the same image nested up in multiples and you can see the color change as its actually printing. For example a few days ago we were printing the same images 8 x 10 nested together which came out to be about 50" x 80", about 4 feet went through the printer and the color started to change. The printer had been running most of the day so it is not an issue where it has to "warm up." We have use long run consistency checked on the printer. It's by far our worst piece of equipment in the shop.

CMGman

If you ever do find a solution please keep us in the loop. Thank you

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
One reason we are convinced its the printer is that we have trialed onyx, caldera beside our Flexi and have had similar issues. We can run the same image nested up in multiples and you can see the color change as its actually printing. For example a few days ago we were printing the same images 8 x 10 nested together which came out to be about 50" x 80", about 4 feet went through the printer and the color started to change. The printer had been running most of the day so it is not an issue where it has to "warm up." We have use long run consistency checked on the printer. It's by far our worst piece of equipment in the shop.
That is so unfortunate to hear. Is this a problem that got progressively worse? or has it been that way from the beginning? Also, if you were to upgrade to a 500 series, does the color become more consistent?

CMGman

Don't know about the 500. What I have been told and read was that the main issue with the 310 it that it does not have an onboard spectophotometer. And that it is needed to assure color consistency. I don't know if this is true but it does make sense. And we have had these issues since we purchased the machine. We are actually printing several projects that we used to print on the HP on to our Mimaki UV flatbed. We primarily use our HP to output film positives on clear file for screen printing.

PhuKing

I have two Mutoh 1641sr and a latex. The Mutohs are one of the newer machines and I strongly recommend it as they produced beautiful and consistent colors. Im guessing you have a lot of substrates designed for your latex that might not work with solvent, that's one thing you might want to consider.

rjssigns

I like my Mutoh 1624x. From time to time we have to print repair panels for various jobs and there hasn't been a color match issue.
On this forum the shops that have Epson printers really like the output. I only have experience with epson aqueous.