• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large format scanning...

907customs

I found what seems to be a good buy on a local 42" HP color scanner with a stand alone controller. Do any of you have or use large format scanners? My problem here is, that I want to buy it, because it seems like a good deal, but I'm not sure how often I would use it... Any ideas for using one for profit would be helpful too...

Bigdawg

Just Me
Depending on the model and the quality of the scans there is a market to sell the scans, but not as much as it used to be... I can see using that for oversize plat maps of archetictural drawings (I have to do these for print and currently scan them in 4-10 pieces depending on the size).

907customs

well, I went ahead and bought it (picked it up for 1K), it's an HP, 600dpi color scanner with touch screen computer controller. It's a 42" with a stand, looks like a decent unit. Ran a couple things through it, and imported into Flexi (350mb) for a 36"x40" print. Not sure how often I'll use this beast...but it's cool:)

P

ProWraps™

as far as large format scans why spend the money on hardware? go to any local kinkos, office max, office depot, staples etc. they large format scan blue prints as a service. its like 10 or 20 ducks..

907customs

well, unfortunately the nearest kinkos, etc. is 150 miles away in Anchorage...things aren't always that easy in the big AK...

Sublimefly

10 or 20 bucks?!?!?! What kinkos is that? My girl friend gets prints that size scanned on almost a daily basis and her local kinkos charges around $200 a pop. If you know a trick to get a better deal let me know because her company would jump on that ASAP.

John L

Kinkos is an overpriced joke IMO. We us a local repro shop (blue print shop) and they charge us $3.75 per sheet converted to either .tiff or .pdf and emailed to me.