• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large scale tiled pieces

coldcuts

Hello,

I'm new to the site and tried to search around for answers but couldn't find what I was looking for. Admittedly this site is a bit overwhelming due to how green I am to the industry as well as the amount of information on this forum. If there are previous threads someone knows about please link me...

So I am looking to be able to tile mesh, vinyl and cloth into larger banners, anything from 8'x8' to 20'x30'.I looked up banner welders but they all seem very expensive for the quality ones. Does anyone have recommendations? I also assume that I would need to or be able to sew these pieces together as well, since I doubt I can weld cloth, so I was curious what type of sewing machine would make sense.

If anyone here already does this sort of thing and would like to shed some light on it that would be fantastic. We've been doing awesome with signage that needs to be made within the roll sizing but have had concerns about expanding out past that.

I appreciate any help and look forward to being a life long contributing member to this board.

ps pictures and videos are great!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Most people who print banners that large have 16' wide printers and they also purchase those expensive welders.
When I need a banner that large I outsource to someone with the correct equipment.

303DC

Most people who print banners that large have 16' wide printers and they also purchase those expensive welders.
When I need a banner that large I outsource to someone with the correct equipment.
For what it's worth, I have a 54" L310, and made a 20'x10' banner for a customer. Used banner tape to connect the two pieces together and it held up fine. The seam was only noticeable up close. Hopefully I can figure out a better solution. I'm almost tempted to try one of those handheld chinese eBay welders.

jfiscus

Rap Master
For what it's worth, I have a 54" L310, and made a 20'x10' banner for a customer. Used banner tape to connect the two pieces together and it held up fine. The seam was only noticeable up close. Hopefully I can figure out a better solution. I'm almost tempted to try one of those handheld chinese eBay welders.
We have three 63" printers here (HP, Mimaki, Epson) and if we get an order for a banner over 60" wide we outsource it. You should look into the Merchant Members here and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how inexpensively they can produce these for you. I have done these in the past at a previous company and they were successful, but I don't like the risk. We also have all of our banners sewn instead of using hem tape as an extra precaution.

303DC

We have three 63" printers here (HP, Mimaki, Epson) and if we get an order for a banner over 60" wide we outsource it. You should look into the Merchant Members here and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how inexpensively they can produce these for you. I have done these in the past at a previous company and they were successful, but I don't like the risk. We also have all of our banners sewn instead of using hem tape as an extra precaution.
You outsource the stitching, I'm assuming?

coldcuts

I know nothing about the Merchant Members thing, what is that?

Also, I wouldn't want to do hem tape. I deal with mainly bands and these would be banners that go up and down daily so I need the strength and durability. Plus not sure how that would work on cloth. There has to be a way to sew them together because even with a 16' wide printed you still need to tile the banners. There is a way, and even with my 64" wide banner I know it can be accomplished, just not as easily.

Also trying to find out how to finish the edges even on small prints. Vinyl, Mesh and Cloth

jfiscus

Rap Master
We take ours to a local shop that sews the edges. they charge us a fee so little for stitching that it's a no brainer.
There is a 3M adhesive that I have read here works GREAT for hemming banner edges, but the name escapes me.

As far as merchant members; they are wholesale printers you can outsource to. They pay to be listed here on this site:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/dto_vendor.php?tabid=37

coldcuts

I have not looked into glue. I feel like I'm running into walls trying to find welding /sewn options.

Can you show me what the sewn edges look like? Are they serged or just one pass?

Brink

That's the thing about this glue, It is solvent based so it digs into the surface and becomes a part of the banner with the effect of "chemically" welding the two pieces together. It's very strong. For no more than it costs for a small sample can you should try it before you discount it's effectiveness. Maybe not as good as heat welding or sewing but definitely worth a look.

coldcuts

That's the thing about this glue, It is solvent based so it digs into the surface and becomes a part of the banner with the effect of "chemically" welding the two pieces together. It's very strong. For no more than it costs for a small sample can you should try it before you discount it's effectiveness. Maybe not as good as heat welding or sewing but definitely worth a look.

Who sells it?