• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Stencil On Wall

Signsup

We have been asked to create stencils for a Pizza restaurant so they can paint large letters (about 30" tall)
on a wall. Light background with bright letters. Just curious if anyone has done this and what the best approach would be. I am thinking we will paint the bright color first, cut vinyl as a mask and apply. Paint the background color and after drying pull off the mask.

Does that sound right? Will just normal vinyl work well? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So many factors come into play. Is this an outside wall or inside ?? What is the wall made of ?? What kinda paint was used on it ?? You hafta test it and make sure your frisket doesn't remove the paint or drywall covering. Need more information.

Stacey K

I like making signs
This is what I think when I read your post. If this is correct then paint he background first and use paint mask, its not as sticky as regular vinyl so it won't pull the paint off...or it shouldn't...or you might need to touch up.
white-painted-brick-wall-with-red-and-yellow-letters-painted-on-highland-DRFN04.jpg

Jean Shimp

I've had mixed results using paint mask. I've tried Gerber, Orafol and Avery paint mask products and none have been without bleeding under the mask on a painted drywall surface. I'm using latex paints. I've had to go back and hand paint a "clean up" outline on the letters, which worked out OK but would rather not have to do the clean up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Glantz used to sell a product simply called 'Paper Frisket'. It was meant for when we used to hand cut sign faces and back spray them. You could also use the gel, but that wouldn't work well on a wall. Anyway, it was sold on a roll and you can even get it punched for gerber plotters and such. It works fantastic. I have 2- 15" rolls and a 30" roll here and it cuts a super clean edge and will not pull anything up it goes down on...... guaranteed. When you paint, nothing seeps under and the edges are crisp as can be. You can use a brush, roller or spray it. It's meant for almost any surface.