• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Laser Cut Back Lit Sign - advice?

Sorry I don't use this forum much so apologies if I have asked in the wrong department!

We have a CO2 50 watt laser. I have been asked to Make an acrylic letter sign to go out the front of a building. (not huge letters only about a3 size each)

My boss wanted the letters to be lit or have a halo lit. He was also talking about slightly transparent acrylic and If this would help. I'm trauling the web trying to find if anyone has ever done a flat backlit sign...

I cannot make 3d letters, these would be flat 5mm. (from what I've seen online so far,back lit letters seem to be 3d with a channel...)

I am conscious of the LEDs needing to be waterproof also if they are not sheltered ..

any advice please... I wondered if it would be of any benefit to double layer the acrylic with a spacer?

Albert Cyrus

By flat letters, do you mean like this?

1708186572959.png

I didn't make this one so I don't have many details. I know it's made with clear acrylic and covered in Oracal 8300 transparent colours.

If you're doing flat letters like this on a wall with back lighting or halo, I don't think you want transparent or translucent acrylic. At night, the light will light up the letters AND the wall background. You won't get proper contrast to see the outline of the letters. At night with 3D / light box letters, the letters are lit up but there's a sharp line separating the light from the black background. Use opaque acrylic. Then at night the background will be lit up and the letters will stand out black and crisp.

I'm afraid I don't know enough to help you with the rest of your questions.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
There's not just one kind of "lit". Halo lit is just one of three options I can think of off the top of my head, along with internally and externally lit. The example Albert Cyrus shows above is another option, but I've never seen that type use for external signage (not saying they couldn't be, just that I've never seen it). All four options would have at least some components that could be cut on your laser. Knowing specifically what your boss is thinking of doing would allow you a more definitive answer.
And, technically, dimensional letters are 3D. ;)

Mr.Signboy

Is this a one off thing for you guys or are you planning on offering this more in the future? You can order halo lit letters from a wholesaler and they will come with the proper UL labels and everything you need to assemble the sign.

PetrossiTed

I would call Gemini, the Channel Letter Manufacturer and see what they have to offer. We did a laser cut interior Sign and I believe they have the ability for exterior applications.
Gemini Inc.
103 Mensing Way
Cannon Falls, MN 55009
800-538-8377