• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser engrave an image onto the back of a guitar...

PRS Bryan

It does look pretty cool, but I doubt the treatment did much for the guitar.

Acoustic guitars are structurally delicate and removing the finish and some lumber is not going to help.

A solid body electric guitar is much more stable and can handle the treatment without issue.

Besides, no one will see the back of the guitar when the guitar is being played. Engraving the front of an acoustic guitar would have drastic implications on the tone and stability of the instrument.

At this point it is a wall-hanger.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Oy! They're removing a lot of finish there...not to mention the stress relieving/creating issues.

JB

Andy D

I wonder how it would look to print and apply using clear vinyl, printing semi-translucent, no white....

PRS Bryan

I wonder how it would look to print and apply using clear vinyl, printing semi-translucent, no white....

Sadly, it would amount to the same. Acoustic guitars need to vibrate freely to produce a good tone.

Some guitar players are almost superstitious about finishes. Some will only accept thin Nitrocellulose lacquers as acceptable, despite their expense and toxicity.

Some say that the secret to the refined tone of Stradivarius violins is largely due to the finish. Many have tried to replicate it.

The only way to pull this effect off without trashing the guitar would be to somehow selectively stain an undisturbed piece of wood.

Of course if the acoustic guitar is already crap then putting vinyl, paint, or anything else is not going to hurt it.