• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser etching Mirrored Acrylic

GraphicsSource

Hey guys,

Wanted to see if anyone had any tips on etching on mirrored acrylic. We're using a GCC glass tube laser 120w.

I've attached a photo of the issue we're running to, it's leaving a rippled finished in the recessed areas. Customer is looking for a smoother etch.

It's a gray backed 1/8" mirrored acrylic. Even the back of the acrylic has a similar pattern in the gray areas before etching. So not sure if it's an issue with the material.

Attachments

• Resized_20160713_121143.jpg
    Resized_20160713_121143.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 381

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Sandblasting will remove the silver and leave a smooth, frosted etch. Lasers do some things extremely well, unfortunately, etching is not one of them unless it's a halftone photo.

JB

w2csa

I think if the base has the same texture (Ripple) the laser will follow that and not smooth it out, if the texture is not originally there you might be hitting it with too much power and causing some melting.

synergy_jim

looks like you are etching at too high of a power. Try one pass high power to burn the backing off, then a lower power higher speed run with the air cone on the end of the laser. You could also burn at a higher resolution for eliminate the banding. Try source files that are 300 dpi

rossmosh

Hey guys,

Wanted to see if anyone had any tips on etching on mirrored acrylic. We're using a GCC glass tube laser 120w.

I've attached a photo of the issue we're running to, it's leaving a rippled finished in the recessed areas. Customer is looking for a smoother etch.

It's a gray backed 1/8" mirrored acrylic. Even the back of the acrylic has a similar pattern in the gray areas before etching. So not sure if it's an issue with the material.

Try playing with the laser's focus. Taking it out of focus could smooth things out.

Also is this some sort of home brew mirror acrylic? The reason I ask is that looks like extruded acrylic the way it's engraving and most mirror acrylic is cast. If you're making it yourself, make sure your mirror backing is laser safe.

GraphicsSource

Thank you for the replies.

It is not a home made mirrored. It was provided to me from our plastic vendor to try to etch a bunch of panels and back with a white vinyl but the panels they currently are getting have a smoother etched area. He says it's the same material that they're currently using as what's in the photo.

My next attempt will be to mess with the focus and see if i can back it out a little to help. It must be extruded acrylic as all the other etchings i do look much better.

V-ENGRAVE

Does GCC glass tube laser work with DPI or scan gap? What are the settings for DPI if used? You may have to increase DPI or reduce scan gap. As mentioned go out of focus a bit to get larger burn spot.