• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lasering Thermal Transfer Material

asare

Hi guys,

I've been tasked with trying to apply thermal transfer material to fabrics using our laser cutter.
The theory is that with the right settings, the laser would act similar to a Thermal Transfer Printer and apply the colour to the fabric, without damaging it.

Our first attempt was simply using the ribbon from our DC5, but this did not yield good results.
Are there any materials designed for this purpose or similar?
Has anyone had any experience trying anything similar to this?

I am skeptical that this will yield nice results but wanted to see if anyone else has had success.
I am thinking it would be a better idea to simply use laser compatible Heat Transfer Vinyl

Thanks!

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Use laser compatible Heat Transfer Vinyl - it's polyurethane.
BUT beware the burned residue can contaminate the upper surface, and affect adhesion so after 10 washes it starts to let go.
I have essentially given up on lasering it and go back to using plotted vinyl - it's so much cleaner, and sticks better when heat-pressed on.
Or go back to screen printing it, for longevity, and no clammy feeling.