• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latest Sign Craft magazine

Vinylman

WOW!

I have been reading Sign Craft almost since its' first issue, but this current issue is off the charts with the depth of incite, and richness of the articles you will find in it.

This issue has some MUST READING for the new comers to the sign craft. Several of the writers have really put into words what this fine industry has been all about.

After reading Mike Jackson' article, I began to reflect on what it is that has held my attention, and kept me from becoming disillusioned with today's current trends in digital media, and the lack of professionalism that is rife in much of today's sign work.

But after reflection, I realized that there will ALWAYS be those few "stars" who truly understand how to use their skills, (both God given, and those honed by years of dedicated practice) to move this craft that I love to the next level of perfection.

The current digital phase of our industry can either move you and your business forward and upward, OR it can cause you to stagnate in mediocrity.
The choice is always there to make.

I know that at my advanced age, I will never be a Dan, [Antonelli, or Sawatzky], or a Mike [Jackson], Raymond [Chapman] or any of the hundreds of the other craftspeople I have had the pleasure of knowing over my 30+ years in the graphic business.

Each of these people have brought the sign industry to the next level of professionalism. A new generation of creative people are coming on board, and will need the challenges and encouragement that sharing our craft with them will provide.

I hope each of us can be a constructive part of furthering the sign craft as it moves into a new decade.

For the younger folks who stop by this site, I hope each of you will take a very close look at who you are, where you are, and make a conscious decision to make 2011 the year that you set your sail into the wind with the express purpose of bettering the sign craft by learning something about your chosen craft.

There are wonderful people on this and other sites who will share their experience and expertise with you, because others have done it for them.

You then will have the privilege and opportunity to do the same, as you grow in stature, maturity and experience.

Best of luck to all of you this New Year!

wes70

Great post Vinylman. As with most of us that been in the industry for awhile, websites such as Signs 101 were not available which required a lot of trial and error. The great knowledge of people on this forum is a blessing for beginners and veterans alike.

Can't wait for the new Signcraft issue to come in the mail. I consider Signcraft mag the best sign mag out there.

grampa dan

I look forward to every issue of SignCraft arriving in the mail. There are old dog eared copies of the magazine on my shelf that go back to the early 80's - the first ones I found when I was in my twenties. I learned so much each time I read a magazine. It was an article by Mike Jackson that gave me the knowledge to do my first sandblast sign. It was cutting edge knowledge back then, generously passed on by Mike.

It is ironic that that a photograph of the blasted wood on that first sandblasted sign I did was the basis for one of my bitmaps that I use to route the sandblasted textures into my HDU signs. These signs are in the current issue of SignCraft. Hopefully this knowledge garnered almost 30 years ago is passed on in some way to the current generation of sign makers and inspires them the way I and countless others have been inspired through the years.

I remember well looking at the sign magazines back at the start of my career. I was amazed at what I saw. I promised myself that some day.... some day the work that came from our shop would be good enough to appear there. I still giggle each time I open the mail box and I see an article I wrote inside the magazine. I'll never lose the thrill for it is a dream come true each time.

It's a goal almost every sign maker should be able to achieve. It's about striving to do better work than we did yesterday, always learning and raising the bar. The journey is the fun part and it will never end until we lay down our tools.

-grampa dan