• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex 115 substrate curling

mameighan

Got my new printer yesterday. Heavy beast compared to my 1324

Have setup and first few errors i successfully printed some test runs.

Quality was good if a little slow with the curing etc.

However when I removed the substrate the vinly started to roll itself up from the edges (not the wound edge)

I am assuming this is due to the heat. Will the edge protectors avoid this? Reducing the curing (how low can I go?)?

The curling was so bad that trying to hand laminate, mask or even put into a cutter would be pretty bad. I also do a lot of quick vinly posters that go out straight off the printer.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Mark

mameighan

Using the basic generic vinly setting and a bubble free 2 mil generic grey backed vinyl

Not sure if this keeps.

Seems more labor intensive than my 1324

ikarasu

Cheap vinyl tends to curl. You can slow down the print and turn the heat down to reduce it... but I've found all the cheap $100 a roll medias curl pretty bad. Move up to a brand name polymeric calandered for your cheap stuff... bout $200 a roll instead of $100, but it fixes 99% of the curling issues.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Cheap vinyl tends to curl. You can slow down the print and turn the heat down to reduce it... but I've found all the cheap $100 a roll medias curl pretty bad. Move up to a brand name polymeric calandered for your cheap stuff... bout $200 a roll instead of $100, but it fixes 99% of the curling issues.
I don't agree with that, I print 10+ rolls a month of Arlon DPF510MT with zero curl issues and its only $100/roll

Christian @ 2CT Media

We build all of our own profiles and settings... We run 6 pass 600dpi, 205degrees with 50% airflow.

I don't know if our 365 or 570 profiles work in the 115 but I can always send you the oml when I get to office.

ikarasu

I don't agree with that, I print 10+ rolls a month of Arlon DPF510MT with zero curl issues and its only $100/roll

My example was using CAD - I always forget most people on here are from USA. I've never used Arlon... Only our small supplier has it. Checking on price of the dpf510 it's $160 a roll. Equivalent to ij35 price for us.

My $100 a roll example was meant for cheap housebrands / absolute cheapest stuff you can buy.

I find the curling is mainly.because of the backing paper - cheap vinyls have really thin paper, most of the name brands tend to use decent thickish liner, even on their promotional rolls.

I've only put about 10 different media's through my latex though, and only one of the media's constantly curled no matter the temp / passes we used. A cheap $100(cad) no name roll I bought as my garbage media to use for alignment and tests.