• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex Printer Question

ol'phart

Considering a latex printer and I am getting all kinds of estimates as to how much per square foot it costs to print with a latex printer. The salesman is the last person you want to believe. I'm looking for the real cost. Can anybody help?
Thanks Much

Sign Eagle

Considering a latex printer and I am getting all kinds of estimates as to how much per square foot it costs to print with a latex printer. The salesman is the last person you want to believe. I'm looking for the real cost. Can anybody help?
Thanks Much

The cost to print is a loaded question without an easy answer. Material cost can very from $0.20/sq ft to more than $2.00/sq ft, we are paying $118/HP cart. for ink, but have seen it close to $150 / cart. If you print a 42" wide graphic on 54" wide material, you have 14" of scrap that should be a part of the cost calculation. The amount of ink used will very greatly depending on what you print and density of color.

We have been running an HP L25500 for about 2 years and a Falcon II Outdoors for about 7. The HP uses less ink than the Faclon and the ads for the new HP indicate they will use still less ink. I use $0.25 per sq ft for ink on both machines, this is an approx. number for what goes out the door vs. what goes into the machine, I don't have a good measurement of scrap or ink lost in cleaning, I just use the $0.25 which seems reasonable for us. So the bottom line is, there really is no good cost per sq/ft.

When buying a machine, pick a company you feel confortable with, the lowest price might not be the best choice in the end.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The HP 25500 has a neat feature, you can link to your printer thru a web browser. With this app you can see a history of what you have printed.

here is a sample of ink usage for a job i printer last week.

64.1458 ft²101.895 ml

the first number was substrate usage and the next was ml of ink used.

I paid $119 for a 775ml of ink from grimco.

This was 600dpi, 10pass, bi directional

on this job, i paid 24 cents a square in ink.