• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Law enforcement "Thin Blue Line" -- advice please

meltsner

I would appreciate anyone's help or advice on this subject. I'd like to know if any of you have printed the Thin Blue Line (TBL) as decals, etc.? I've done research and can't find anything about the legal aspect of printing these. I've kinda looked at Wikipedia's page as the most "official" source of info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Blue_Line_(emblem) but it doesn't give much information on it.

It claims the TBL is a registered trademark of Fraternal Blue Line, Inc., but even on their site access is very restricted to LEOs. Wiki's Thin_Blue_Line.svg would then seem to be the exact thing, but can anyone print these? And if so, can size be modified, and what is the exact color of the blue? Lots of items exist all over the web with the TBL (any items are supposed to be sold to verified LEOs, but there's a bunch of sites that don't verify) in the shape of rectangle decals, and other shapes (LE shield, etc.). So shape must not be a big deal?

And if anyone even has any links to info, I would sincerely appreciate it.
Thanks!

---apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong forum, please move if necessary, I figured this was the best one.:smile:

B Snyder

For what its worth, the trademark on the black/red/black design is live but the trademark on the black/blue/black is dead.

Go to
http://tess2.uspto.gov/
Select "New User Form Search"
Change the "Field" type to "Serial or Registration Number"
and then search serial numbers 76616165 and 76616166

Any other questions you might have would probably be best answered by the owner of Fraternal Blue Line, Inc. and your attorney.

letterman7

Sorry, I can't see that image, or any variation thereof as being "trademarkable". The phrase "The thin blue line" may be, but certainly not the graphic. If that was the case, there would be a whole lotta lawsuits going on with some racing stripe creations.
I deal with the local PD on an almost daily basis, and I've never seen any of them sport any kind of emblem even resembling this. It might be a more regional thing, but in your case, only you can know if it's for a legit purpose (i.e. not printing it for a street racer, but for a legit officer of the law).

meltsner

Thanks for the reply as well, and you're right. We also deal with several of our local law enforcement offices around the area (tactical gear dealer), and have been asked by an officer if we are able to print these. So it would definitely be for a legitimate cause, really the only question was is the shape and/or color important (and, back to the original subject, "trademarked" and legal to print :rolleyes:). Again, from Wikipedia:
The Thin Blue Line (emblem). A black rectangle bisected along horizontal axis by a blue line. The actual symbol is a Registered Trademark of Fraternal Blue Line, Inc.
Suppose that doesn't leave much question..........but, I'm kind of curious -- According to the links B Snyder gave, the TBL trademark is dead ("abandoned") as of the last of December '09. So I guess it isn't trademarked at the moment........ Oh well....

BTW, it isn't a regional thing at all, obviously not every officer will have one (and it's usually only on their personal vehicles).

SignosaurusRex

Gimme a break......It's an "F'n" black box with a blue stripe through it! If you are making 'stickers' and selling them on Ebay than you might have a serious problem......But if you are producing them for a Police Department and maybe incorporating it into a vehicle graphic or or other specialty project then probably not. Do you think anyone...especially in the Brotherhood is going to have a serious issue with that?