• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layer question

Dropout

Good morning All

I am going to be making some plastic (different materials) letters for another shop on my CNC router. They are providing the artwork. The letters have holes in them for mounting pins. They are creating the artwork with Corel Draw 13 (I'm not familiar with this at all).

Is it possible for them to put the letters and holes on different layers? If so, how? They don't seem to be able to figure it out.

It would make the machining of them much easier because I could machine a layer rather than having to identify each hole (on a 4X8 sheet there are many many holes).

Dropout

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Corel does layers. Every time an object is created it is on a new layer. The only way I can see to get all the holes on one layer is to combine them (creating one shape).

I doubt that will help though, because when I import into Enroute, all that data is lost.

When I used to use Profile Lab I would just color the objects different colors and select by color and tool path.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
P.S.

Just in case it works for you, Corel X3 layer managers is under Window/Dockers/Object Manager.

Dropout

Hi Jester1167

Just re-reading this, even if you lose the layers in Enroute could you run two programs, one for the letters and one for the holes? I don't know Enroute but that might be faster than tagging all the individual holes (I have sheets with 100 letters and 4 holes per letter - tagging each one is almost impossible without the odd miss :) ).

Dropout

brent brooks

when making up the file in corel they should keep all the lettering one colour and all the holes a different color. Then they can easily use the find and replace option under the edit menu (Edit, find and replace, find objects.) setting the color parameters to select only the color of the holes, group them and repeat the process for the letters. You will be left with all the letters grouped together and all the holes grouped together. Then draw a rectangular bounding box around the whole lot. with just two clicks you can then select the grouped holes as well as the bounding box,
copy and paste to a new page or document, then on the original delete just the holes. You should be left with 2 seperate rectangles, 1 with holes and 1 with letters. you can now export both files as seperate EPS / AI files for routing. The placement of the holes and letters within the bounding boxes will allow any program to retain the same origin for both files. so you can do the holes, return home and cut the letters afterwards.

Hope this helps

Artildawn

Nothing wrong with the layers concept, it just that Corel use the "Object Manager" to manage layers. In the object manager, create the layers you need. To isolate objects on a layer you can toggle visibility, printing, and editability.