• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layout for Wrapping

I have a customer who wants us to wrap a bunch of trash can lids. I don't know exactly what kind of design they want yet, whether it be a solid color with some text or some abstract design. What I'm wondering is how to even design it or create a template that would work for printing it? It's such a curved shape so it's hard to figure out how to lay it out. The manufacture of the lids sent me a pdf with their specs but they are 2d shapes. I also included pics of the lid itself. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated. I will know more about what kind of design they're looking for later on today but I'm just trying to wrap my head around how to pull it off.

Attachments

• IMG_6110.jpg
    IMG_6110.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 478
  • IMG_6111.jpg
    IMG_6111.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 336
  • GREAT STREET,TR-12.pdf
    164.1 KB · Views: 333

bannertime

Honestly, we'd probably start by printing some grid patterns, installing that, looking at how the lines get deformed and trying to replicate that with a mesh in Illustrator. We did something similar with some Yeti type cups and it came out pretty good. I'm sure there is a much easier way, but I was up for the challenge. Now whenever we get those cups in we can create the graphic is whatever program and pull it into the Illustrator template and the mesh warps it just right.

Dan360

I would treat this the same way I would a helmet wrap (even though this is like The Juggernauts helmet). It really depends on the design as to how you approach it.

The majority of the time, we design flat based on actual surface area, quick transfer onto photo for proofs. Once approved, text and logos get removed to be done as decals. Take the background into photoshop and bulge the center (I forget by how much, plus it differs case by case) since you will have the least stretching there and then print at around 80% so that when you stretch around the sides it looks relatively normal.

Doing it in multiple pieces allows you to avoid doing decals over the background, but you do have that large opening to feed extra material into.

I did do a grid wrap on a helmet and found it quite helpful to show me how much stretch was going to occur and where.