• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering a trailer -- Need advice

DealerSupplySigns

Hey y'all hope all is well in the sign world today.

So, we have a trailer that I'm stuck lettering and I've never done it before. Just looking for any general tips or anything you can offer to make this process less painful. The current 8x16 trailer we're doing has no rivets.
Our next job has rivets. It's got one large, contiguous design to go over it.
Still a rookie in the field if that matters at all.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Trailer #1...not much info to go on so I'm assuming you are putting on a logo and some tag lines? I prefer the hinge method of installation. If you have a long tag line, tape it on and cut it every 4' so it's not so long to install and again, I use the hinge method. You can do that with any other graphics assuming it's cut vinyl, cut them apart so they are easier to handle but not until everything is taped up good! Go right over the panel edges and go back and cut them later with a knife. If there are screws then remove the screws where the graphics go, install vinyl and replace screws. You can paint the heads to match the vinyl or leave them.
Trailer #2...I would find a video on trailer wraps, there's a few good ones out there.

Jer Barlow

So, we have a trailer that I'm stuck lettering and I've never done it before. Just looking for any general tips or anything you can offer to make this process less painful. The current 8x16 trailer we're doing has no rivets.
I first make a side view (picture?) with the layout superimposed on it. I work from the centers out. I use Flexi and so I can create the layout in real scale. This way I can produce measurements. I write in all the measurements on this layout and make marks on the trailer sides.
I begin with the largest part of the graphic whether it is a word, name or shape. I'm not a printer so I cut it all and lay the parts/words on a table top when I weed and paper them. I can pick up the parts I want to apply from this pile. This way I can tape the large part in place and do the check. I check myself a lot as I work alone and I don't trust the old guy, then I do the hinge method.
Once this main part is down I can lay in the smaller lines as said above.

karst41

First thing first.

Your customer needs to have the trailer Brush Washed with extra detail on the Rear door.
Older equipment 5+ Years need a DeOxit wash. Fleetwash companies know what this is.

On day of Installation run the pam of your hand down the side of the trailer.
Your hand should not have oxidized paint on it. If it is a minor amount the dow a spot touch up as you go with denatured alcohol and terry towell. (get both at home depot)
Double down on the rear door.

Now your measurements are to be made from the lower aluminum frame. This is your One True Line
of measuring referance (typically 10.3")
If using Masking Tape you need the 3m Green Paint booth tape. its the only shlT that will stick
on a humid day,

Look for the lower reflector off the lower frame. That is typically C/L on the trailer.
Count your panels FWD panel is usually 49" the rest are 48" amd the Aft panel varies Add total and divide by 2, Bingo just like that you are C/L.

Get a Rollie Pro for the rivets. heat up a 30" run of the vinyl with hand held propane, and roll it.
Just like that you are done. Look up Rollie Pro on youtube. these fkrs work great and worth the money.

Yeah, I gots 30 years of these installations under my belt and cant do it no mo. Knees are gone.
Your turn.

Oh yeah on a 53' Trailer with 100" Panel heights do not make 1/8" measures smaller than 1/4"
heii no. 1/4 1/2 3/4 4/4. Make it easy on youself If it is a sinle line of text the 1/2" or 1"

Rear Roll up doors Wraps are best with Horizontal panels to avoid overlaps.
Start up top and snug up to the Drip edge.

WARNING WARNING WARNING
When wrapping a rear doors NEVER cover the Reflective tape.
If you do, then cut to the edge and remove the graphics to expose the tape.
If somebody rear ends the trailer, you can be sued in an instant!

Yeahgor

Born to be The Designer.
First - Respect to MR. Karst41 every his single word is absolutely priceless right!
Second - Every single wrap is new challenge as for design alignment as surface preparation as for installation issues. In our experience the trailers owner send you the pictures and want to start production before the real trailers hit the door of my shop. So we asked for 2 days installation because it's pretty hard to guess real dimensions of panels and door location.

Just baked few our Trailers Jobs exact as Mr. Kars41 described.
Every screw was screw off and screwed back after installation. All panels was printed in exact size + 1" by right and left sides.

Here is the cut vinyl lettering also was a challenge to put right layout on real trailer.

DealerSupplySigns

I really appreciate the responses, you guys rock. I'm blessed that this is just for a laundromat and not anything crazy like some of the graphics I have seen out there. Thanks all!

evansgrafx

Most of the time they're not rivets, but drill screws. They look like Torx, but have 8 points instead of 6. I use a #2 square drive bit to remove them where they're in the way, and then I reinstall them. Doing this also allows you to apply wet if you're not using air egress film, just go easy putting them back in. Let the customer know they'll need to to snug them up just a bit by hand in a few days.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It would really help to see a picture of what you're presently doing and what you have coming in. Then, a drawing of the actual artwork for them both. In this way, we can help more realistically with your specific needs rather than just generalizing.

You realize you start at the back and work your way forward ?? Some people go horizontally, so then you start at the bottom and work your way up. How much overlap is your fabricating crew giving you ??

DealerSupplySigns

I was trying to avoid going through all the specifics of the job and so on. I was mostly looking for general tips about dealing with trailers. Tips like the Rollie pro for rivets, what edges I should use for measuring, cut at the seams, that kind of advice. I got exactly what I was looking for!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Use isopropyl alcohol instead of denatured. Denatured is basically grain alcohol that they add some form of petroleum distillate to make it undrinkable. Unfortunately, every brand will add something different and they can leave an oily residue.