• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lexel or Weldon?

Kate473

Hi Everyone

I am new to working with acrylic and was wondering which adhesive would be stronger and more durable Lexel or Weldon 16 (thoughts on Weldon 3 & 4 are also welcome). I have looked online for comparisons of the two products and can’t find any. I plan to use extruded plexiglass for this project.

I would love to hear any thoughts you all might have. Thanks!

Kate473

Thanks for the response. I will be making a custom store fixture. It will be used inside so large variations in temperature are not a factor. I would like it to support up to 15-20 lbs. I will be using 1/4 plexiglass.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Definitely Weldon. Lexel is more for adhering a sign to a wall, larger flat surfaces, etc....not for edge-to-face applications.

Kate473

Thanks for the article, some great points. I had previously read that only 24 hours was needed for the adhesive to set. An extra days dry time is certainly worth waiting for to maximize the strength of the bond.

After I had bought, cut and drilled the sheets I saw something about cast acrylic being stronger than extruded when glued. Does anyone know how or why there would be a difference? Thanks!

Kate473

Cool. My current project primarily involves edge to surface connections so I would not need the tape for this project but your tip about covering the piece first then finishing the edges with the router is great. I will definitely use that trick on future projects! Thanks