• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"light duty" machine?

keleland

As I stated in my introduction in the other forum I am looking to do "lighty duty" with vinyl lettering. It is all for crafty things. (www.writingonthewall.com) It will go on indoor walls mainly.

I am wondering what machine would be the least expensive to do this. I am not looking at a big money coming in from this so I don't want to spend a ton to start.

What would be my best bet? Of course I have looked at eBay (who doesn't start there???) and I seem to keep landing on the US Cutter. Any thoughts on this brand for the type of business I am looking at starting?

Also, there is a DVD on eBay that shows how to do it (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sign-Cutter-Vin...ryZ46742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). does anyone know if this is worth it or know of a better one?

Thanks!

Kerri

SAS

Some people say the master plotters are OK you can find it on ebay. A Roland or Summa 24" will cost around $1,700 would be a better choice if that is in you budget. What ever one you go with if it comes with software that would be a plus because stand along graphics software can be costly. There is a book called Vinyl Graphics How-to only $15.00 at Amazon. There is videos on how to apply vinyl but I can't think of the names most sell for around $40.00. The one on ebay may be a copy of one of them. (bootleg)

http://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Graphic..._bbs_sr_1/104-2710158-1427942?ie=UTF8&s=books

player

I think you should not consider Master...they are pretty crappy, and without plotting experience you may pull out more hair than you cut letters.

Roland equipment on the other hand is pretty well made, and will work properly.

Player

keleland

THANKS!! I think I will run to my local Borders and pick it up right now!!! I really appreciate the help!

Kerri

blackicefx

I might be a little late on this one, but for simple 'crafty' projects, I highly recommend the Stika 15" cutter. It uses a very basic Dr. Stika software that allows you to create pretty much any graphics that you'd like. It isn't the most involved or professional but it definately gets the job done. I used my Sticka St15 for numerous projects, even professional runs of 5000 6" graphics for a wholesale deal I had going for a small performance shop. I still can't believe I used it for that type of project but it did what I needed.
You can have the cutter + the Dr Stika software for under $800 as a package.

Hope that helps.

Matthew
Black Ice FX

TresL

I have did several of these on my 15" Graphtec.(wifes projects)

Works great for names, the larger ones needed to be done in a couple pieces.

I seldom use my 15" cutter any more, so it's going up for sale soon.

my thoughts are dont buy anything. if this is going to be "light use" as you put it ... i would interpret that as rare use and for rare use find a sign shop that you can work with, buy yourself Corel X3 design your projects and send the file to a shop and have them send it you for installation. then you have no equipment investment, you did not buy garbage tools that have no resale value, the only learning curve you have is the software, you have no inventory of types of vinyl/colors/specialty films/etc etc....and you get busy building your business and selling and invest the money you have in marketing and if you are capable of building enough of a demand for this niche and can justify the expense of a quality machine buy one then...but "light use" is only fooling yourself and trying to justify buying a non quality machine in your mind when the correct term for "light use" should be RARE USE which in my opinion does not warrant purchasing a machine....so what if you pay a little more to have a shop cut your graphics, you will save the money in time and wasted materials since you have NO experience. sorry to be blunt but it is meant with good intentions.

bean-design

You might try a Graphtec Craft Robo Pro 2...

which I think is essentially the same thing as the old 15" CE series, except now they have the registration mark sensor.

do you mind me asking what vinyl you use that is removeable from latex paint? My daughter has a drawing she's been wanting me to cut for a wall in her room, but I've no idea what to use.

thanks,
Ramona