• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Lightbox Printing Questions

SignShopSteve

I'll start off by saying I've tried searching and couldn't find info that helps with the same variables I have with my printing.

I have a Roland TrueVIS VF2-640. I use VersaWorks, print with "Roland DGA" profiles, and use "True Rich Color 2" Preset.

We do not do too many lightbox prints, so when they do come to us, I want to do them correctly for best results at daytime and nighttime viewing.
I've read up on the forums and it seems like two prints with one mirrored is the correct/best route to go.

We use a white polycarbonate for the inserts. We have a lightbox translucent white vinyl for lightbox printing and we have a clear vinyl for printing also.

My question is, do you still use the translucent white vinyl when you have a white polycarbonate insert? What profile should I use for the printing? The Roland DGA Matte Backlit Film profile defaults at a 2 overprint. I switched that to 1 and the black in the graphic came out cloudy. The graphic is a orange background with some cartoon flesh colors and red text. I've tried using profiles for Avery MPI 2050 for a print before and the colors were way off, that is why I am using Roland DGA profiles as they seem to work for all other printing also.

dariusaleksas

Hi, white translucent vinyl defuses light better than clear vinyl. That overprint thing IMO is complete BS ... I've never had good results with that. What worked for me is 2 layers of vinyl. 1st layer could be clear vinyl with 50%-100% density print (you gonna have to find your sweet spot), and on top translucent vinyl with 100% density print.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If we can't use a double hit with the flatbed, we do an overprint with the roland. One hit is just no good at night. Triple hit is way too dark during the day. 2 hit is just right. Kinda like goldilocks, except we don't eat the sign later.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
We use a variety of methods based on the need. For ones with good LED lighting I'll sometimes do the white polycarb panel with printed translucent on front, same/ mirrored on back, and it works good. If it's an older refacing with not so good lighting, I'll do clear mirrored on the back. This is an 8 foot I did recently with LED lighting, don't have a night pic of it, but drive by it enough, and it looks good lit up, colors match good. Translucent was printed on a Mimaki Eco-sol, no special settings, no overprinting, I just do high number of passes so it's all even.
284111990_5338811429508403_8507091793197799630_n.jpg

Last edited: