• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Lighted cross???

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Looking for a lighted exterior cross. A church wants something in the 5 foot-ish tall range, internally illuminated, they prefer LED. Can be fab'd or formed acryilic, poly, whatever, want it lit/ visible on all sides. I can find tons of options, except for this. There’s already a pole on top of the building from previous signage, basically gotta find one suitable that meets code and mount it.

Our usual vendors don’t do/ have anything like this, and I’m not seeming to find anything, especially nothing I’d be comfortable putting up in the air. With churches on every other corner, you’d think there would be pre-made commercial options for something like this, but then again I've never had to try to find one. We can make a neon one in house, which is an option they’ll accept, so either way they get one, but trying to give em' what they really want.

Anyone know of a vendor for something like this?

DL Signs

I would think any of the vendors that do fab work would be able to handle something like that.
I would have thought so too... If they didn't want it lit on all sides it could be done like any other sign box in a cross shape with no problem. We get all the "unconventional" requests.
If we can't get them to go with a more conventional option, I guess we'll end up making a neon one, which was one option they were considering, or pass.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tell the church..... due to 'Air Traffic Control' you are not allowed to do that, as it would be disconcerting to planes and drones when flying over. It would be mistaken most likely for a guide marker, maybe even enemy attack.

brdesign

I've seen samples of acrylic letters where the leds are embedded within the letter to light up the sides and face. Not sure if a larger scale is possible, but maybe start here

DL Signs

Tell the church..... due to 'Air Traffic Control' you are not allowed to do that, as it would be disconcerting to planes and drones when flying over. It would be mistaken most likely for a guide marker, maybe even enemy attack.
Wish I could Gino... It's not one of those big ol' churches with a huge steeple, it's more like a repurposed retail building that had a lighted sign, hence the pole/ electrical already there to put it on. They already got the town's approval for it when they renovated it, it's just finding/ making something they'll be happy with. They tried to find one, came up empty and came to us, figured we'd give it a shot thinking something as common as a cross wouldn't be that hard to find what they want :rolleyes:

Guess we'll just have to give them a few options that can be done in house, or obtained, and go from there.

DL Signs

I've seen samples of acrylic letters where the leds are embedded within the letter to light up the sides and face. Not sure if a larger scale is possible, but maybe start here
We've done those, they're more for mounting on a wall, unfortunately this would be free standing, exposed 360 degrees, and exterior. They didn't have a plan-B, guess they'll have to find one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most likely, overbuild it. In other words, build a complete angle corner structure of aluminum and run some LED light sticks top to bottom and across the arms narrowly missing the other ones. Or mount it saddle style with a huge pole up the middle and run the LED placement lights around the main pole. They might've gotten the Okay, but I'd wanna see IN WRITING along with the permit to do this and the engineers stamped drawings to do it. I highly doubt something like this will fly in reality without spending gobs of money to make sure everyone's butts are covered.

DL Signs

Most likely, overbuild it. In other words, build a complete angle corner structure of aluminum and run some LED light sticks top to bottom and across the arms narrowly missing the other ones. Or mount it saddle style with a huge pole up the middle and run the LED placement lights around the main pole. They might've gotten the Okay, but I'd wanna see IN WRITING along with the permit to do this and the engineers stamped drawings to do it. I highly doubt something like this will fly in reality without spending gobs of money to make sure everyone's butts are covered.
Boss only asked if I could find any ready to install options, do some plans/ drawings to submit before we buy/ start anything, but so far I have no options that meet what they want anyway. Probably should have the boss make a call when he gets back to town next week, if he hasn't already, before I put any actual time into it.

brdesign

Boss only asked if I could find any ready to install options, do some plans/ drawings to submit before we buy/ start anything, but so far I have no options that meet what they want anyway. Probably should have the boss make a call when he gets back to town next week, if he hasn't already, before I put any actual time into it.
Tell the customer that you have consulted with a higher authority and illuminated sides are not approved.

DL Signs

Current plan: I'm gonna send em' two renderings, one a cross shaped double sided lighted sign cab, choice of exterior color that we can just order & install. The other a neon, which was an option that we can do in house, all pending permits. Something that sounded so simple shouldn't be this painful, eh?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
...and while I was there, I found this for Gino:
1663960576498.png

...And this For Notareal:
1663960619437.png

DL Signs