• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid Laminate on Phototex

MrDesignGuy

I have an upcoming project in which I will be installing about eight 6' x 5' interior wall murals. I have never worked with Phototex, but have heard good things about it so I thought I'd give it a try. I have a few worries I thought I could get some advice on. First, the knowledge I have gained from doing research is that this product will stick to just about any surface with no or very minimal edge curling. I've had problems with other materials in the past not sticking to painted surfaces. I know it has a lot to do with the type of paint used - oil vs. latex, matte vs. gloss etc. The walls I will be installing these graphics on are painted with a semi-gloss latex paint with a slight texture effect. Does anyone foresee any problems here? Secondly, does this job call for the use of a liquid laminate, and if so I have never used it as I have a Seal laminator. Would I apply laminate with a foam roller before or after install? I assume before, but not sure on the correct methods here. Does Phototex even need a laminate if it is an interior job? Thanks - sorry so long!

knucklehead

That's the only time I've had PhotoTex curl up, is when I sprayed it with some liquid laminate. I don't think you would need any laminate for it. Of course it also depends on how abusive they are to the wall.

TheSnowman

Pretty sure it isn't meant to be laminated. It's fairly durable, but as with anything, if you run something sharp across it, it will leave a mark. I think you are asking for trouble if you put a lam on it.

jc1cell

overlap or "double cut"

:thread

Just came across a sample of Photo Tex after years of getting one when they first came out. It seems it's not as dull as it used to be unless my sample is using a waterbased dye printer.

Just curious on how you work the panel installs. Do you overlap or "double cut" (not sure if that's the correct term) to align the panels with no overlap.

jc

MrDesignGuy

:thread

Just curious on how you work the panel installs. Do you overlap or "double cut" (not sure if that's the correct term) to align the panels with no overlap.

jc

I was told by a guy at feller's to use a half inch overlap on the murals. He said the murals he's put up over a year ago with overlaps have yet to curl. I'm wondering though if a "double cut" install would look a lot cleaner? Anyone suggest the best way to install these?

MrDesignGuy

Pretty sure it isn't meant to be laminated. It's fairly durable, but as with anything, if you run something sharp across it, it will leave a mark. I think you are asking for trouble if you put a lam on it.

The guy at fellers also told me to use liquid laminate if there is going to be a lot of traffic around the murals. Car keys are most likely to be the objects brushing up against the prints. I would hate to laminate these and have edge curl. I think I'd rather risk a scratch than edge curl.

dlndesign

Well it does depend on the design, but if it was people walking by that you were worried about, why not put up some clear acrylic mounted with some standoffs in the waist high area. Just a thought.

MrDesignGuy

Well it does depend on the design, but if it was people walking by that you were worried about, why not put up some clear acrylic mounted with some standoffs in the waist high area. Just a thought.

Well, the funny thing is, the job already consists of 16 - 3' x 5' Clear Lexan signs mounted with 2" standoffs. Aside from those, the wall murals will be applied to "C" shaped curved walls. The graphics will be applied on both the concave and convex sides. Although, they will be applied starting at the top, then down to about eye level. The more I think about it, the more they will be out of reach anyways, especially from small children.

trik

Well we have installed tons of Phototex!!! We have a place with 8 indoor basketball courts, and have up over 30 100" x 100" sponsor ads on them inside this place, plus we used it for their snack menus with it as well. We did not laminate them, but the ones near the courts are scuffed pretty bad, but they are ok with it, they expected it. We have laminated it with frog juice and it works great, but you do need to let the print dry for 24 hours. We also just for the fun of it laminated some with 3m 8518, and wrapped it around a door jam to see how long it would stay there, been up for over a year, even after we pulled it down a few times and reapplied it. Never had edge curl, but we did have the material come down of a cement wall once, but it was really just the surface, put it on another cement wall painted with a different type paint and it is still there. I have tons of pics, pm me with an email and I will send some over.

Good luck!

switch

We Liquid Laminate our Phototex prints but very lightly... Do not use as much as you would on a canvas print for instance!

Good Luck