• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Little help around trailer screws

klingsdesigns

I did a wrap a few weeks ago and saw it last night. Around the screws it is starting to lift a bit.
We installed it doint the rollie pro or the foam paint roller with channels. Used torch and heated down.
We also went over with a squeegie and poked a hole under.

Any ideas how to fix this. I used 3mij180cv3-10. I was recommended to try avery 1005 would this keep it down?

Attachments

• 13576761_1201480063226203_2269792986455835911_o.jpg
    13576761_1201480063226203_2269792986455835911_o.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 534

TimToad

Did you use 3M 94 Primer all of them?

It really helps to prime them and any other deeply contoured areas. A couple of tiny pinprick holes to allow the trapped air escape can't hurt either.

We use the 3M Rivet Brush and a felt covered squeegee to work on rivets and screws like that.

klingsdesigns

Did you use 3M 94 Primer all of them?

It really helps to prime them and any other deeply contoured areas. A couple of tiny pinprick holes to allow the trapped air escape can't hurt either.

We use the 3M Rivet Brush and a felt covered squeegee to work on rivets and screws like that.

I would have went over with a rivet brush but it would poke a hole in the center of the screw where a bit would go to remove screw.
We didnt use any primer 94. Is that what most people do?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I would have went over with a rivet brush but it would poke a hole in the center of the screw where a bit would go to remove screw.
We didnt use any primer 94. Is that what most people do?

That depends on whether you are the sort of shop that your customer comes back to in 3 to 5 years to get it re-wrapped. Primer 94 on 1100 screws..... :banghead: No thanks. Our customers come back and I'd rather not charge them more for the removal than the install because we have to scrub the adhesive off of a thousand screw heads. On install, poke them a few times with a pin, brush the main bubble out, quick hit with a torch and brush again to get it nice and tight up to them, final harder hit with the torch and rivet brush to set the memory. Only takes a tiny bit longer on the install and works great.

ExecuPrintGS

We remove the screws or cut them out. I haven't seen many full wraps over trailer screws that aren't lifted like that.

d fleming

Yeah, it looks so sexy all bubbled up underneath :smile:. Nothing says you have to put the old screws back in, use pretty new ones. You don't remove all at once, do it as you go.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Have any of you guys ever used those banner frame systems before? I think Ackland is the mfg but man does that seem like a better way to do truck wraps with all those rivets.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I feel like the wrap would look bad if you had all them screws showing. Trailer was pretty old so also didnt want to remove all of them in case it made it less sturdy.

They're little screws. Nobody but the terminally anal will notice them. It's the proper way to do it.

ExecuPrintGS

So there really is no way to fix what I got showing in the picture for a 3-4 week old wrap?

Removing them is the only way they will hold long term. No material can bridge that gap/ angle and hold.
If you really don't like seeing the screw heads, we have in the past painted them to match the print if it is a mostly solid or minimal color changing background.
For example on landscape trailers with the bottom half grass, we would pick a green in the print and paint new screws ahead of time. If the top is blue like the sky, paint them blue. It at least camouflages them a bit.
It is a lot more work, and more money buying new hardware but if the customers are that picky about seeing or not seeing the screw heads they can pay for the extra labor.

OldPaint

R & R.............SCREWS.............
I KNOW........but i dont have the right screw tip))))
WRONG.......... there are TORX(6 POINTED) and these small trailers use an 8 POINTED SCREW!!!!
WELLL think a minute............you could go buy 8 POINT BITS........or use a 4 POINT SQUARE HEAD)))

OldPaint

if you shred the screw......you need someone who can operate a tool))))
just did this one.........with SQUARE DRIVE .....

Attachments

• mtrailer.jpg
    mtrailer.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 446
For what it's worth, this was posted in another thread by SightLine about removing screws on trailer wraps:

I would avoid removing the screws (or bolts) on the sides of trailers at all costs. I have seen firsthand more than once where this weakens the entire trailer. The problem is they are put together with self tapping screws. When you remove them the hole get enlarged by the drill point of the screws (and then a bit more again when it gets reinstalled) and the screws will never hold as well again as they do the first time. A good example (and they actually still have it) a trailer owned by the state here. This was a very expensive custom 40 foot one but still a typical lightweight grade trailer. We were to wrap it the second time. Whatever shop did it first removed all the screws and put them back in as they went along. This made the removal of the old wrap a nightmare for one but one phenomenon we encountered right away is half the screws basically were falling out and many were missing. On closer inspection I quickly realized there was a big problem. Standing on a scaffold I could push (very hard) against the top corner and the entire trailer would essentially shift and you could physically see the side panels shifting and the overlaps moving. So we stopped and advised the state on the situation. The state took a closer look themselves and their maintenance shop did some deflection and other testing on the trailer and deemed it unsafe and unsuitable for continued use. They then contacted the manufacturer who also agreed and advised that the only fix for this and the only way to make the trailer safe for use again would be to replace every screw with a size larger.....

We have a couple of employees that used to work at the Wells Cargo factory and they use the square head tips to install the screws during manufacturing (the ones that are between Torx T15 and T20 size).

OldPaint

these ALUMINUM framed trailers, with ALUMINUM SHEETS.... attached with STEEL SCREWS arent made to withstand years of vibration. the ones that are POP RIVITED......are more durable. especially the 3/16 or 1/4 inch rivits. as for what i did REMOVE.... and REPLACE.......they were not removing the whole panel row.
in this pic we took out 4 to lay the print down, stuck em right back in

Attachments

• 004s.jpg
    004s.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 408