• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Looking at Mutoh to replace HP 365 Latex. Would you buy Mutoh again?

Gary Welch

Premium Subscriber
I am looking at replacing my HP 365. Looking at roll to roll or flatbed.
If you currently own a Mutoh would you buy one again?
The reseller I am dealing with says there is a free year of warranty until the end of September.
I would think the deals might be better at Printing United in October.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Gary Welch

tulsagraphics

I've owned a Mutoh 1614 since 2009. It's been a really solid workhorse, and it lasted way longer than expected. About a month ago I upgraded to an Epson S80600.

I considered another Mutoh, but I decided the Epson upgrade was well worth the extra $$$-- not just for it's superior color matching and speed -- but also to do away with some of Mutoh's quirks. Unless things have changed in newer models the Mutoh can only handle outside wound media (or you have to babysit or respool your rolls). Also, the take up reel struggles with full rolls (friction clamps start working themselves loose about 3/4 of the way through the roll). I also found it annoying that I couldn't check ink levels on the machine while it was running, nor was there an app / web interface to check remotely. (again, these things might have changed in newer models).

Overall I can't really complain about the ValueJet line. Mutoh is pretty solid for the price point. But do I think there are better printers for the money? Absolutely.

Others may have better feedback regarding the newer models. Hope that helps a little.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I've owned a Mutoh 1614 since 2009. It's been a really solid workhorse, and it lasted way longer than expected. About a month ago I upgraded to an Epson S80600.

I considered another Mutoh, but I decided the Epson upgrade was well worth the extra $$$-- not just for it's superior color matching and speed -- but also to do away with some of Mutoh's quirks. Unless things have changed in newer models the Mutoh can only handle outside wound media (or you have to babysit or respool your rolls). Also, the take up reel struggles with full rolls (friction clamps start working themselves loose about 3/4 of the way through the roll). I also found it annoying that I couldn't check ink levels on the machine while it was running, nor was there an app / web interface to check remotely. (again, these things might have changed in newer models).

Overall I can't really complain about the ValueJet line. Mutoh is pretty solid for the price point. But do I think there are better printers for the money? Absolutely.

Others may have better feedback regarding the newer models. Hope that helps a little.

All of these "quirks" were addressed in one way or another over the past 15 years. I used 3 Mutoh printers at home and do not have any of those problems as they have software that allows you to view the ink levels, and the take up is much stronger if you've bought the "heavy duty" version. A lot of these problems were addressed with the successor to the 1604, the 1624.
I've used a Epson SC80600 as well, and although I am not a huge fan of ONYX RIP software, the printer, itself, is beautiful on how it color matches 98% of the time.

tulsagraphics

All of these "quirks" were addressed in one way or another over the past 15 years. I used 3 Mutoh printers at home and do not have any of those problems as they have software that allows you to view the ink levels, and the take up is much stronger if you've bought the "heavy duty" version. A lot of these problems were addressed with the successor to the 1604, the 1624.
I've used a Epson SC80600 as well, and although I am not a huge fan of ONYX RIP software, the printer, itself, is beautiful on how it color matches 98% of the time.
Ah, that's good. :)

They gave me a copy of Onyx, but I never used it. Caldera is my go-to.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mutoh roll to rolls are solid machines. If you go flatbed I would look at the Mimaki JFX200 or another flatbed. Mutoh's flatbed is a rebrand and I'm never a big fan of that kind of setup. Too many middlemen to go through for tech support.

unmateria

Mutoh are really good machines to selfrepair. I have owned 1204, 1324 and now an 1641sr. I have been very happy with them all, and all had printed until exhaustion. New 1641sr pro with ms51 inks is really great. Just a really crappy roll taker, on develpment software (vertelith... Not bad but very buggy in some things) and a really bad auto setup (adjustments done to pf or bidir automatically are very bad... You have to do them manually). Those are the only complaints i have. Mutoh support is now good. They reply fast and take customers in consideration. So, yeah, i would buy mutoh again. And never again Epson or hp pieces of plastic