• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a fine art matte and photo semigloss paper for artist reproductions with our s80600.

Dan Berg

Our business is mainly printing on canvas and we have that really nailed down. What we are still looking for are several premium solvent papers for artist reproductions.
We have the Sunset Velvet Rag from Lexjet but when you print on it and compare it to a print off our pigment P8000 on Canson Etching Rag the P8000 kills the s80600.
We use a ton of hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta on the P8000 and just love it.
So what really great papers are people using on their solvent printers for high end artist reproductions?

Last edited:

Dan Berg

I just want to use the printer a little more. It is sitting unused 4 days a week. Not sure it could ever match but right now with the paper I am printing on it is not even close. Was hoping to find some premium suv papers to print on that would be closer to my pigment ones. I rarely am asked about prints over 44" but would like to do several reproductions to 60" if I find the right paper.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
reproductions
Well, if the print is to be a reproduction, isn't the same "paper" called for?

I just want to use the printer a little more. It is sitting unused 4 days a week.
I recommend you target wall paper treatments, rather large vinyl decals as signage, large canvas gicleé decor, posters commonly used in 22x28 stanchions. You will likely become plenty busy.

tbullo

Superunknown
We use Sihl 3357 with pretty good results. Most of the time the prints are for short term use.

dreko

Solvent inkjet prints (and their ink) are not really designed for the fine art/photographic market. Solvent printers are signage and graphic printers.
I would add, this would vary depending on the art market and region you're located in...

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sihl has a ton of different papers and we've always had good luck solvent printing them. A good dealer should be able to get you some samples to try out.

Dan Berg

Well, if the print is to be a reproduction, isn't the same "paper" called for?

I recommend you target wall paper treatments, rather large vinyl decals as signage, large canvas gicleé decor, posters commonly used in 22x28 stanchions. You will likely become plenty busy.
No, We photograph the original artwork so there is no paper to start with. Most are acrylic or watercolor on canvas. We do many on canvas but almost all the artists want a more economical paper prints to sell.

Dan Berg

Solvent inkjet prints (and their ink) are not really designed for the fine art/photographic market. Solvent printers are signage and graphic printers.
I would add, this would vary depending on the art market and region you're located in...
The s80600 with 9 inks is one of the best printers for artists reproductions. fantastic gamut.

Dan Berg

Just not for paper. Pigment is better.
I must agree but I want to see how close I can get to my pigment prints. The papers I have been trying with the solvent are just sort of blah. What does look pretty good is some posters I have been printing on some Lexjet poster paper. Bought a half dozen 60” sample rolls they had laying around really cheap. Cut them down to 18 and 24” widths. Cheap enough for give aways. (Oh I will sell them too.)
I am sitting on about 25,000ml of really cheap ink that came with the printer. Put that with the really cheap poster paper I can run some promotions that cost almost nothing. Question is what?