• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for a printer,,but not sure which one

Malkin

We did once successfully wrap a van using an aqueous printer/uv inks. The media was cast, coated film for wrapping ($$) but without any kind of air release. It has held up decent, but no way would I do it again....

Solvent or latex is the clear choice for ongoing affordable wrapping media that is easy to install.

Tiogy

I used to do quite a few race cars every spring but, after a few years , it became obvious where it was all heading. The car owners might be willing to pay the first year but, most of them asked us to donate our time and materials in exchange for ad space on the cars. That may seem like a great deal until you realize that advertising on race cars will only bring you more work on race cars owned by people who want you to sponsor them for free. That's not to say that you will never get any other types of paying work from the racing industry or fans but, for the most part - it was a losing proposition for us. The race car guys were some of the toughest customers to get paid from, I've known some of them to just go from one sign shop to the next without ever paying a penny.

I donate work to some local charities and am glad to do so but, I don't consider auto racing to be a "Charitable Organization".

Another consideration is that prints can be more susceptible to abrasion damage than solid opaque vinyl. The laminate and ink will get rubbed off in places leaving the white media or substrate color showing through making things rather ugly and illegible very quickly.

I noticed there are lots of replies suggesting you dont buy a printer but if you really want to get into digital printing dont just narrow your work choices to car wraps. Think on the bigger scale such as doing normal everyday signs for people. I cant speak totally for the race car crowd as I havent really dealt with them but they are not the only customer that will be loyal till they find a cheaper price, most customers are the same.
Anyway to answer your original question, I have had inkjet, ecosol and full solvent printers and my experience is that you cant go past a Roland. They come with Veraworks rip software and are fairly well fool proof to use. If you need to create graphics to laminate straight away then you would need to go to the HP latex machines which are virtually twice the price of what you can pick up a new Roland for. I currently have the new VS540 Roland and a HP latex printer and I use the Roland more as it will also contour cut you graphic. Yes I am a Roland fan.