• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for an entry level 24-32" Cutter?

smullen73

Are there are any other companies/sites out there that sell an entry level cutter package aside from Signwarehouse???

I was thinking about buying the wife and I a cutter and was looking to see if there was a better place than them...

I dealt with them many years ago, but everything I've read as of late makes me a bit shy about dealing with them.

CA Creative Group

1 man shop
Do you have an idea of what you plan on cutting with it as that can drive what type of machine folks might recommend and from where.

When you say entry level how entry level are you thinking? Sub $1k or $1k and over?

I've owned roland, graphtec, summa, gerber and vinyl express(gcc). I've also used sub $1k machines as well and they're okay if your'e planning on mostly cutting letters 1inch tall or larger. If you think you'll do anything sized less than an inch in height I wouldn't recommend the generic brands.

My current setup is a summa d60r I purchased from a dealer in Miami through the main auction site and a uscutter mk875 as a my backup.

Last edited:

karst41

Every Sign Supply Jobber can set you up and sell you the Vinyls and accessories.

Where are you located (City State)

Athens Paper... has every thing under the sun except for 3m Vinlys Web Site and inventory is Vast.
They sell to the Big Boys and little guys too

Reece Supply. Horrible Web Site but They sell Mimaki and Graphtec Cutters and the over priced Gerber

Grimco has everything. and if you stay in the game you will buy from them sooner or later.
This is who you need to call.

You will need the Following Items to Start Up. "If" you are going to make an honest Run at it

Graphtec CE 6000 Plotter The 15" Model EVERYBODY has 15" Vinyl inventoried. The really good and expensive
Gerber 220 series (aka 3m 7720) You can buy some real cheap stuff too for banners.
The Hands down Best Low Cost Vinyl Cheap Vinyl is 3m SC50 Series. There is None Better at the Price.
It outlast any HiGh Performance Vinyl that is not Laminated.
You writing this down? Copy and Print what we are telling you. You will regret if you don't.

Software. Just start with Flexi Letter or Flexi Cut. I have been using Flexi for well past 30 years now.
Computer "DEDICATED" No Internet surfing. or You gonna regret Twice. Fact!

You need a good work table 30" x 10'
Call Piedmont Plastics or CalSak Plastics. You want 1/2" HDPE High Healing.
Its not cheap You will never have a better table for your shop.

You will need Squeegees The Grey ones from Grimco are the Best for the Dollar, I prefer them to the 3m Gold
Application tape dispenser
Application Tape. R Tape 7045 (somebody correct me if I got that number wrong.
Transfer Rite Ultra Series and 3m are the best but its Expensive, Just Get the R Tape 7025

You Will need Exacto knife with #11 Blade
A Olfa Silver Snap blade knife and an empty beer can for used blades.
3/4" 3m Masking Tape. Get these Items at Home Depot Paint Dept.
DeNatured Alcohol 1 Quart a Roll of lint free Blue paper Towels and a bag of
Micro fiber towels. Use these dry and a large soft Brush.
Dust and Debris is Unforgiving and sticks out like a sore thumb

Finally Get a Copy of the 2021 Sign Pricing Guide. Never Ever use the middle Price
You will simply be wasting your time and never Grow. Period

15" Graphtec Plotter and Flexi Cut.
Flexi is great software and YouTube is Loaded with a zillion Tutorials.
3m SC 50 series Vinyl and R Tape Transfer Tape.
Squeegies and a knives. Dont Cut Yourself,,,,,,,these parking things are razor sharp and will
layyoass open in an instant. Yes it will happen Bandaids, Butterflies, Gauze Pads and Tape for
when you going in for stitches

Oh Yeah,, Straight edges Get the 48" Ruller from Home Depot and a 30" x2" flat steel from home depot.

All this stuff I just listed,,,,Yeah I use it every day, and so will you.
I started with Flexi Version 1.3 and Adobe Illustrator Version 3
In 1987 somebody walked into the design floor with a MAC II SI with Adobe Illustrator
About 24 Artist walked away from the Drawing Tables and there was no turning back.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Ebay has great deals too.
I bought a Graftec 160, 60" cutter and it still had a year left of warranty on it.
Warranty ran out but the cutter is still cutting all day every day 16 months later, its bullet proof.

CAZ007

Do it all !
Are there are any other companies/sites out there that sell an entry level cutter package aside from Signwarehouse???

I was thinking about buying the wife and I a cutter and was looking to see if there was a better place than them...

I dealt with them many years ago, but everything I've read as of late makes me a bit shy about dealing with them.
Micompgraphix.com Steve is great help

Chuck B

Riff Meister
You don't hear about Ioline at all, but I must say this is among the best of plotters I've ever used...and I've used a few. My Ioline is probably 20 years old, and I paid about $1K for it back in the day---the only thing I've had to do to it is load the vinyl in...it's a beast.

smullen73

Do you have an idea of what you plan on cutting with it as that can drive what type of machine folks might recommend and from where.

When you say entry level how entry level are you thinking? Sub $1k or $1k and over?

I've owned roland, graphtec, summa, gerber and vinyl express(gcc). I've also used sub $1k machines as well and they're okay if your'e planning on mostly cutting letters 1inch tall or larger. If you think you'll do anything sized less than an inch in height I wouldn't recommend the generic brands.

My current setup is a summa d60r I purchased from a dealer in Miami through the main auction site and a uscutter mk875 as a my backup.
I say entry level I'd like to stay under a K for the cutter and it's software and be able to cut Up to 28-30" Wide...

This is for hobby for the wife and I to make stuff for ourselves and folks we know. If I get a few side jobs great. Shes got a Cricuit, but its too small and I hate the software. I like the Vinyl Express software as thats what I used before.

I figure we'll use the cricut for any smallish stuff (Anything that will fit on 12x12" and whatever I get for the bigger stuff...

I realize I am not a business, but this is by far the best forum for anything vinyl and obvioulsy anything sign or sign business related.

Wow, thats a lot of info. Thank you. I'll check those places out.