• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for an Onyx expert to give me One on one training in my se Pa. Studio

Dan Berg

A little background first. I have a 3500 sq. ft. printing, photo mounting and framing studio near Morgantown, Pa. since 2009.
We primarily do hospitality fine art printing on canvas with 7 Epson printers. 2 are Dye sublimation. 3 heat presses, 2 Seal laminators and a shop full of framing equipment.
Last may I purchased a used Epson s80600 with 60 new 700ml ink carts. I knew that it had sat so knew it may need heads and it did. Two new heads to the tune of $5100. 3 months later the printer had another error and it took a new mainboard for another $1650. I now feel like I have a like new printer but am all in for about $14,750. Here comes the problem, my hospital work has dried up and that was over 50% of my business. The rest of my business is either dye sub or canvas pigment printing. Bottom line I have no work for the new s80600, none. I think I have printed several sample posters and banners the last 3 months, that's it. Zero revenue with that machine since labor day.
I was considering selling it but have worked the last 10 years for the day I could afford to purchase a 64" solvent. So I decided to give it one last shot. No rip came with the printer so last week I purchased a copy of Onyx Thrive 19.
I also have a new Fc-7000-60 for the cut portion of print and cut. Trying to get off the ground floor properly and after watching videos until I am blue in the face I have decided I need someone here for a half day or more to learn how to do this properly. I am not a total dummy as we had a new Roland Bn-20a with versaworks for print and cut. No design work done in-house. If I need something we have a gal that does that work for us. Hopefully I will find someone locally to help with this. After I know what I am doing then comes the hard part, where to find work.
Dan Berg
www.bergsprintstudio.com

cmoist

I would contact Onyx. They offer on site training and support.

See https://onyxgfx.com/training-center/
Onsite Consulting
Installation and Workflow
Have an expert ONYX consultant visit your print shop, evaluate your workflow and make recommendations to improve your productivity, or choose to host ONYX Certified Workshops at your place of business to reduce downtime, eliminate production problems, develop efficiency, and maximize your operator’s ONYX knowledge.

Dan Berg

Too expensive, cannot afford at this time. Well over $100 an hour (Referencing bringing someone from Ut. to Pa. for training) with hardly any work I need another alternative.

Last edited:

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I agree onyx is a mess to figure out. We got thrive with our s60600 last year and the tech who installed it new nothing about onyx or even the printer and we've been struggling ever since.

Mike Brice

I agree onyx is a mess to figure out. We got thrive with our s6060 last year and the tech who installed it new nothing about onyx or even the printer and we've been struggling ever since.
Odd. We replaced our GS6000 about 4 years ago with the S80. The tech was ready to teach me Onyx but realized that I had been using Onyx 12 for over 7 years and just ended up going over the Epson Dashboard and the newer features with the packaged Thrive 21. One caveat, I do work for Fastsigns so our corporate support team was always there to answer any questions that came up or set things straight when things went sideways. If you have any questions, I might be able to help. Right now we're running an HP Latex (we will never buy another), our Epson and a Canon flatbed all through Onyx. Good luck!

garyroy

Something that might keep the training cost down a bit it maybe doing a live Zoom tutorial with someone.
They don't have to leave their home and someone can help you from anywhere in the country by logging onto your computer.
BTW. $100/hour is high if you were hiring a full time employee, but even plumbers are getting $150/hour for 4 hours of work.
So you might have to bite the bullet for the 4 or 6 hours.

Dan Berg

Dan Berg,

Are you able to successfully print the Onyx Evaluation PDF found in the Onyx Sample folder?
No, I looked and have no sample folder. Unless I am looking at the wrong place. Now the problem I am having is the printer starts to print and then stops with only a small portion of the print completed.

Attachments

• 3C039306-AF9D-419F-A45B-031E221F24F3.jpeg
    3C039306-AF9D-419F-A45B-031E221F24F3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74

Dan Berg

Something that might keep the training cost down a bit it maybe doing a live Zoom tutorial with someone.
They don't have to leave their home and someone can help you from anywhere in the country by logging onto your computer.
BTW. $100/hour is high if you were hiring a full time employee, but even plumbers are getting $150/hour for 4 hours of work.
So you might have to bite the bullet for the 4 or 6 hours.
Was hoping to get someone in to help set it up and just get me going. Cannot get a print that will print or cut. I have been doing all my printing with Epson Edge but need to print and cut.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have watched several dozen. The ones from Onyx are pretty worthless. They blow through the video like you already know everything.
there are ones that walk you though onyx. i learnt quite a bit from the online videos. Then by going though all settings everywhere to familiarise myself with everything.

If you want "free" or "cheap" training. You get what you're given.

Dan Berg

Were you able to connect onyx with your epson printer?
Oh yes, I have been printing but have a hundred questions. I have been printing using Epson Edge Rip. In Epson dashboard I have over a dozen .emx profiles in dashboard and they are also selectable in the printer so all is good with Edge. Now I want to print out of onyx I don’t have access anywhere to those profiles I was using and have loaded in the printer. Because they need to be.oml and none of the loaded profiles I had been using in Epson Edge are now not seen in Onyx. So I know they have to be .oml to work in Onyx but cannot find them anywhere in the search. Hope that is all clear as mud.
All this money for Onyx I hate to print everything out of Edge except print and cut just because I cannot match profiles to my medias.

Vloza2499

Yeah i had that same problem too. So what i did that worked for me is that i had the profiles downloaded onto the actual printer. You would have to go to epson dashboard and have the profiles sync with the printer. So when you load your media change your media to the new profile. So lets say you select 3m Ij180 and open onyx and it should say in a pop up window if you want the profile to be added. Im not in the shop right now to take some pictures of the pop up but give it a try and see if it works.

Dan Berg

Dan Berg,

Are you able to successfully print the Onyx Evaluation PDF found in the Onyx Sample folder?
Cannot print the entire print cut sample. It prints 3" full width and then stops. Seems to be doing that with all files now. then it runs about 3' of material on the floor and then prints a very small strip. Something seems to be corrupted.