• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for desktop/small equivalent to HP DesignJet z6810

KellyP12

Production Artist
Hi all - quick question. My boss and I are planning on going to our paper coater's facility for a production run in the next month or so. Due to our manufacturing process, we buy a custom-made paper that requires special coating, but we are tweaking the coating still to make sure we lock in what we want. And sometimes this causes problems you normally would not get buying off the shelf coatings. Sometimes ink does not adhere, or coating flakes off when printed on, etc.

We print about 98% of our work on HP DesignJets, the z6810 models, which have aqueous pigment inks and consumable printheads that must be replaced with wear and tear. What would you say is the closest SMALL/transportable/reasonably ship-able HP printer we could buy and have mailed to the paper coater that would somewhat approximate the same printing practices the z6810s have? i.e. we want to be able to print a couple test prints on that smaller printer on-site just to make sure ink somewhat lays down similarly. I'm not worried about things being color correct or having the new media profiled, obviously - it's just one of those "oh crap" moments we want to prevent where we get the rolls coated and then get it back home and suddenly - oh my gosh - the ink is bleeding off, or it's not even sticking to the coating, etc.

Any suggestions? When I looked up the 24" models on HP's website they don't tell me for sure if the inks are fully aqueous and/or if they're anything remotely like the z6810/z6800 pigmented inks. I'm unsure if this T210 would be close enough because the specs don't give me the full run-down. They just say "dye-based" inks for C M and Y and "pigment-based" for K.

Thank you!