• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for input on ink

Team Valhalla

We've used the Roland Eco-Sol ink in our machine since day one - have never had an issue.

I called Nazdar the other day to order some parts for the machine. When I got down to ordering the ink I needed, they asked if I wanted the Roland ink or Nazdar ink cartridges.

The Nazdar cartridges are about $50 less than the Roland ones... but... I'm wondering if the cost savings is going to "cost me" in the long run.

Anyone have any issues using the Nazdar inks in general? Has anyone gone from Roland to Nazdar and experienced any issues?

Thank in advance for any input.

SP

lgroth

Worked for me.

There is a lot of debate about non-OEM inks, whether to use them or not. I installed a bulk ink system on our Roland SC540 about two years ago and have not regretted it. I use Solaris inks (from Fellers), the cost is about half with a full liter costing about the same as a 440ml Roland cartridge. I flushed the entire system and installed new dampers when I did the switch and haven't had any problems.

d fleming

Naz-Dar inks are top shelf. I used their ink for my seiko until recently because they stopped offering it. Would still be using it if they continued its production.

guitarguy69

Been to their facility and saw a machine that had fired billions of times with their ink and was being monitored for any issues to the printer head, no issues at all. They are a Roland vendor and test their ink extensively on the Roland printers, have no fear. Great guys with tons of experience also, and no, I am not affiliated with them at all. Just speaking from experience with them.

Been running their inks in our fleet of Mutoh printers for half a year with no issues. As a matter of fact, this is the third bulk ink I have tried out and so far the best of the bunch by a long shot. Maintenance is super similar to OEM inks, as far as how the maintenance stations and print heads wear from use.

Morph1

Print all
Hey guys,

Great o hear this..., what about Red Giant inks , I get them from Western Rim in Canada and had been using them in Mimaki for over 4 years now, I also have a Roland and I was wondering if I should try them out on SP300, the heads are the same DX4 type
and the Mimaki is printing very good , no print head problems at all.

anyone?

TheSnowman

I run Triangle on my JV33 and haven't had any issues. Just saves me a ton of money only spending $62.00 for a 440 cartridge.

TimToad

Yeeesh. I think we're up to almost $140 for OEM Roland eco-sol max 1 & 2.

I just started tracking exactly how much ink we run through each machine so I'll have to look into this after a year. Warranty is well over on one and will be done on second unit by then.

I always just figured we weren't doing enough volume to justify the risk but those savings are hard to ignore.

$140? We pay around $118 for 440's from Denco and I can either get them delivered for free on Tuesdays only, or shipped free, next day UPS any day of the week if I call it in before 3pm.

This winter I'm planning on doing a ton of research on ways to save money without compromising quality. My predecessor went out being known as the high customer service, low price, medium to low quality vendor for our area. I'm all over maintaining and expanding the high level of service and ramping up quality in a big way, but for the prices he was charging, I'm not sure how to squeeze much more out of this price level and stay viable. At least all of our new customers are paying according to what the current market bears for better quality work and service.

Its a big lesson to learn for those interested in buying an existing sign business someday. Its not just the financial records and gross sales you need to study, but also finding out whether or not the sign company you are buying is known for keeping up its end of the market up on prices or are they undercutting the rest of the craftspeople in the area. Playing catch up is tough.

Team Valhalla

Thanks for the input on this!

Just a side note Pat... yes, the OEM Eco-Sol ink is running around $140 for the 440s. Naz-Dar price was $85. That's a big Yeesh!

SP

TimToad

Pat,

I forgot, you're up in the great white north right? Everything up there is just more expensive.

We're ok. The previous owner stayed on for two months during the transition and in my first week when I raised the hourly shop rate for the first time in 7 years from $65 to $75 he rolled his eyes and proclaimed how badly I'd regret raising prices so much so quickly.

Guess what? NONE of the new customers could tell a difference and only a handful of the cheapest of the cheapskate, high maintenance returning customers have complained. Its was like an instant 10-15% profit increase the very first month and we haven't looked back since. We're matching his revenues month to month and making more money at it with the same volume of work.

Its all good and will get better once I can implement a few more fundamental efficiency systems and cost containment strategies.

MagnetStew

We run 5 Mutoh printers and were using OEM up till about 2 years ago. Switched to STS across the board and have never regretted it. We have tested JetBest as well with good results. There are a number of good 3rd party ink manufacturers out there. In the end, go with the one you get the best deal from. It has saved us a ton.

guitarguy69

my suggestion is to find out which company offers great service when the deification hits the oscillation, because inevitably it will. Weather OEM or aftermarket problems rear their heads, and when they do you want a customer service oriented company that stands behind their product. I can name two big aftermarket ink manufacturers who's customer support is horrific and will blame you for all that goes wrong. The companies I have gone with have all offered a limited warranty against damage to the printers caused by their product. They didn't replace print heads, but they did pro rate them.

Do a little digging and chose the company with the best price and will actually stand behind their product.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Get The Best Deal and The Best Service

We've used the Roland Eco-Sol ink in our machine since day one - have never had an issue.

I called Nazdar the other day to order some parts for the machine. When I got down to ordering the ink I needed, they asked if I wanted the Roland ink or Nazdar ink cartridges.

The Nazdar cartridges are about $50 less than the Roland ones... but... I'm wondering if the cost savings is going to "cost me" in the long run.

Anyone have any issues using the Nazdar inks in general? Has anyone gone from Roland to Nazdar and experienced any issues?

Thank in advance for any input.

SP

guitarguy69 is correct is mentioning below that in the end, it comes down to the company with the best service and willingness to work with you should anything go wrong. We at Premier Colour strive to do the same and serve our customer needs in terms of service, parts, and ink for their machines. Overall, we are all in this together.

autoexebat

Do you happen to know if Naz-Dar makes ink for the VS-300i ? I looked on their site and couldn't find much info.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I contacted Nazdar directly and the tech told me it was NOT a good move to use in my new Roland printer.

Ouch. Did the tech recommend a cartridge setup?

We had our Roland XR-640 printing with Bordeaux replacement ink cartridges for Eco Sol Max2 all four days long plus our production in house here in California. No problems whatsoever.

If you are not printing a lot yet; stay with OEM. If you are printing in volume, give us a call. We will see what we can help. Or send us a file, we will print on our XR and post a video.

Francis

autoexebat

Yeah I don't print a whole lot ,sometimes my printer is off a few days at a time. I get the OEM for 121.00 so paying $20.00 less and voiding my warranty is holding me back.

LFC911

I contacted Nazdar directly and the tech told me it was NOT a good move to use in my new Roland printer.
Just to clarify, if you're new Roland printer is under warranty and you switch to any 3rd party ink you lose the Roland 2nd year trouble free warranty, which if a board goes out or something else fails that isn't covered under the 3rd party ink warranty, you could be at a greater risk financially than if you kept using OEM inks. Hope that helps.

splizaat

Just to clarify, if you're new Roland printer is under warranty and you switch to any 3rd party ink you lose the Roland 2nd year trouble free warranty, which if a board goes out or something else fails that isn't covered under the 3rd party ink warranty, you could be at a greater risk financially than if you kept using OEM inks. Hope that helps.

^^What he said.

We never run anything but OEM. People have success both ways.

Only way I could consider running third party EVER is: A. If machine is already out of warranty, and B. If the savings per ink cartridge over X amount of time was more than the price of a new head+install. The price of a head in our new roland is around $2800+install. If we ran every single day, all day, I think it MAY be worth it....but we don't run our stuff that hard or nearly that much. OEM only here....not worth the risk for me. I have terrible luck, and knowing that, the first time I ever use a third party cartridge I guarantee we have a head go bad the next week Lol.

I ran only OEM ink in our USED sp300v for seven years (after the previous owner ran only oem ink in it before that for a few years) and I never replaced one head. And I would say we ran that little 30" harder than most people in the country run their 30" printers. Because of the Ink? Maybe....or maybe we just got lucky :)