• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for some install advice

Kemble

Recently became manager of a print shop that does a large amount of vehicle wraps and I know very little about wraps (25+yrs management and business experience), although I'm learning a lot very fast. We have a few installers with various experience levels, none of them are 3M or Avery certified. All their experience comes from just getting their hands dirty and just doing it. I've posted a few pics of a current job that I'm questioning a particular aspect of the job. In particular, the rub rail that goes down the side of this RV. Along the top of this rail has silicone/caulk and the wrap does not stick to it. The installer has made a relief cut and then put a strip of clear edge sealer tape to prevent any water from getting behind the wrap. I'm not 100% convinced this was the best way to address this issue as I feel this will be a fail point 3-6 months down the road. Part of me wants to trim the wrap to 1/4" above and below the silicone/caulk line but there will be a 1/2" white line down the RV. Is that OK? am I wrong? or did my installer do the correct thing here? I would greatly appreciate any install advice/experience you care to share with me.

Thanks

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 276
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 111

Ed. C.

Personally I have been an installer for wrap and vinyl graphics for 16+ years, I've had my share of box truck and lunch trucks and so on. I dont believe either approaches are wrong. both are good techniques. personally I run a nice clean cut along the flat areas on the vehicle to remove or make the caulking as thing and flat as possible for a better look and better application of the vinyl. I do not like to do relief cuts if I dont have too. too risky for water entry. the slice and tape will work for that as long as is a clean application of the tape. I don't necessarily like to leave vehicle color showing on a critical area. That's a last resort for me. again remove silicone if possible clean with alcohol. do 2 coats of primer covering at least 3/4 to a 1" on both direction of the vehicle wall and lay the vinyl down all the way to the edge to the corner avoid heating or stretching if you don't have too. remember to post heat the area to ensure the vinyl will not lift up.... over all the install looks clean to me and looks like they know what they are doing. in terms of material. I prefer 3M over anything else.