• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Looking for the name of this font...

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
upload_2020-10-30_14-56-20.png

Someone has put a offset path around it (I guess?) and can't find it through Identifont.
It looks so so familiar, like some pre-load Windows XP font, but I am just not finding it

jwlllpl

I feel like this is some version of Harlow but cannot find a match in my fonts. Where is Tiki when you need him? :)

Pewter0000

AH I found it manually by digging through DaFont. It's Almanar, in case anyone ever wants it (nobody will, it's ugly)

JetPress

I used to go to What Font Is then found Font Squirrel when I noticed I wasn't getting accurate results anymore. Now I use What The Font since I've had better luck compared the first two.

Pewter0000

I used to go to What Font Is then found Font Squirrel when I noticed I wasn't getting accurate results anymore. Now I use What The Font since I've had better luck compared the first two.
Yeah I find "What The Font" the best for uploading, though Identifont is also really handy because of the "similar" list it provides.

Pewter0000

Why are there so many fonts ? So many are so close to each other . Do some really matter to the customer ?

I think it depends on context for each project. If it's a short term sign for a nobody business, it probably doesn't matter. And it shows when people don't care, they come in with fonts like this with weird effects on them. But if it's like a large brand, consistency is pretty important. You can really tell the difference between a homemade crappy free font and a professionally made one. For a customer, they might feel the difference in quality but not catch on that it's the typeface that is carrying a lot of that weight.

Jeremiah

I think it depends on context for each project. If it's a short term sign for a nobody business, it probably doesn't matter. And it shows when people don't care, they come in with fonts like this with weird effects on them. But if it's like a large brand, consistency is pretty important. You can really tell the difference between a homemade crappy free font and a professionally made one. For a customer, they might feel the difference in quality but not catch on that it's the typeface that is carrying a lot of that weight.
In my shop, every customer gets the time they deserve and need to make their choice. I do not need to stay with them as they view hundreds of fonts. They can choose what they want. I have Never had a Nobody Business Customer. Every customer is making an investment in their business.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Most of the time you should pick for the customer, otherwise, you end up with Times on a coro sign. For occasional use with walk-ins and quick jobs make a large banner with 20 to 50 fonts divided into sections by style and let them pick from that. Looking through 1000's fonts will just waste everyone's time and confuse them. On the same sign or banner, you can illustrate the sizes of banners and letter heights. If you place it a the back of your shop, you can also illustrate letter height and style visibility from a distance.

You design and make signs, why not used them to your advantage. Anything that can help educate, and direct the customer makes you look knowledgeable and professional, and the quicker the layout gets done, the more profitable you will be.

Designing a logo from scratch is an entirely different process and they probably shouldn't be picking the fonts either. You should pick several fonts based on the message the business is trying to convey; whimsical, strong, bold, modern, minimalistic, retro... and, easily readable font/s for secondary or tertiary messaging.

Pewter0000

In my shop, every customer gets the time they deserve and need to make their choice. I do not need to stay with them as they view hundreds of fonts. They can choose what they want. I have Never had a Nobody Business Customer. Every customer is making an investment in their business.

To be clear, I do not ever treat any business as "lesser than". What I mean is that we get clients who come in with a logo that their cousin made for them for 50 bucks, no brand guidelines, no vectors, and I'm not going to change a thing unless they request it. "Does it matter to a client?" I'm not going to redesign every crap logo that comes in because I know it's crap.

I should add: I also don't have time for each customer to come in and design a banner over my shoulder. If they have specifics they need, send 'em on. If they have revisions, absolutely. But I'm not going to double check every single thing with them at all steps of design.

Last edited: