• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for tips on making good butt seams in floor graphics

Steenland

Old Member
I’m looking for tips and suggestions for making good butt seams in a multi-panel floor graphic. I can’t cut directly through the material because the knife scratches the black marble tile floor.

I’ve done many single-piece floor graphics, and many wall murals with overlapping seams, but this is my first time installing a multi-panel floor graphic.

The material is 3M 40C-20R with 3M 3645 laminate. The graphic is 25’ x 12’ overall and will consist of six panels, each 50” wide (plus overlap).

Since I can’t cut with a knife, I’m planning to use the tool pictured. I’ve been practicing on scrap material, but it seems to stretch the material slightly while cutting, so the seam ends up with a very slight overlap.

Open to any and all helpful suggestions from those with more experience, as well as crass comments from Gino et. al. on the subject of butt seams.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Cutter.jpg
    Cutter.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 230

johnnysigns

I'd just practice with a freshly snapped blade on the same material you're planning on using directly on the floor. With a light touch and practice I don't see it being a problem. Wrap installers go through similar training when they can't use knifeless tape on vehicles.

cmoist

I was going to mention knifeless tape, but I haven't used it on your concoction of vinyls. They make a type that's specifically for butt joints. Look for 3M™ Knifeless™ Tape Tri Line. Watch some videos.

Steenland

Old Member
I was going to mention knifeless tape, but I haven't used it on your concoction of vinyls. They make a type that's specifically for butt joints. Look for 3M™ Knifeless™ Tape Tri Line. Watch some videos.
I hadn't thought of knifeless tape. Good idea! I'm not sure it will work with the 3645 laminate though. The stuff is 8-mil and tough as leather. I'll give it a try though.

Steenland

Old Member
I'd just practice with a freshly snapped blade on the same material you're planning on using directly on the floor. With a light touch and practice I don't see it being a problem. Wrap installers go through similar training when they can't use knifeless tape on vehicles.
Do wrap installers actually cut through vinyl using a knife without marring the vehicle's finish? I don't think I could do that.