• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking into a Colorspan or Vutek.

THull

Hello everybody. We currently have a Colorspan 5465 and are going to be moving up (more like moving on - done flogging a dead horse) to a larger flatbed. As things play out, we are left with the decision of upgrading to a brand new HP Scitex FB910 (Colorspan 9840) or the possibility of a used Vutek 200/600.

We have researched the specs on these two machines and some others. We are leaning a bit toward the Scitex because it is faster and wider, however considering the major set backs we had with our latest colorspan printer concerning reliability and inconsistency, we are apprehensive to go another round with a colorspan unit.

If anybody has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.:unclesam:

Kevin T

Not sure what your budget is but you may want to look at the 320/400 instead of the 200/600. Much faster and in my mind more reliable. Didn't they replace those models with newer versions PV200 and PV320? The 200 prints very nice but after about 2 months you'll find it too slow guaranteed. However like anything else if you can grab it for a good price...I think I'd give HP a bit of time to digest what they chewed. Unless you're in a rush wait and have a look at SGIA in Atlanta this fall.

Simon Belmont

the 9840 is a much different machine than the 5400 series. The 9840's were heavily tested and though they still have the colorspan unreliability, they are nowhere near as bad as those 5400's. E.G. The 9840 won SGIA best in show printer of the year when it was released in 2006(?)

supersignmart

Lack of Service

I've had my 9840 since Nov 29, 2007 (600 hours) and have over $130,000 worth of new parts put on it and still have vertical banding. There is absolutely no service from HP. There are differences between the 5400 and the 9840, but not with HP service, if anything there is less, as I was told if this were a 5400 they would have replaced my printer by now.
All HP 9840 owners need to find a place to post there problems with their
printer and HP's lack of service, if there are enough, which I believe there
is, we could file a class action lawsuit instead of everybody filing their own
individual suits.

Simon Belmont

I've had great service from HP/Colorspan on my 9840 (about 1500 hours on it). Sure there have been problem and new parts. Its been down a total of about 12 days out of the 9 months we've had it.
As for the vertical banding, that definately an issue for a HP tech (as opposed to a Grimco/GEI Calgraph tech) Usually its a issue with the drive belt on the carriage. You probably need to replace the shaft on the drive motor. Sorry, I dont know the exact term for the part.

supersignmart

No Service From HP

They have replaced the belt bearings all 4, the belt drive motor, the printer
head motor twice, the printer head belt twice, the hi res encoder, the main I/O board twice, the printer head main board twice, the encoder strip twice, the data cable to printer head, the power cable to the printer head, the main trolley twice, the lower trolley, the lamp housings (wanted to see if it was a
structure issuse) thats all I can remember for the vertical banding issues. We've had shutter failure issues since day one, they have replaced the lamp housing 11 times @ almost 6000.00 each. Sure its under warranty, but that will run out soon and I will still be having these problems. Since the new Firmware upgrade, I've been having both lamps shut down with no warnings. They have replaced my lamp power source, the power cables to the lamps and the lamp housings, guess what, its still happening. They are finally sending someone down from MN, he will be here Monday.

Albion

Well we bought our 5465 ...HP45500 back in March of this year. It took HP a total of 11 weeks to get it working. The main problem was the lack of experience from HP tech support. We are currently negotiating compensation for the lost time and money spent on getting the printer up and running. As far as print quality and speed of production I think it's one of best printers out there for the money. The question is .....how reliable will it be in the future?...the jury is still out on that one.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
All I have to say is Vutek's support is Top Notch. I own 3 of them....you become your own mechanic when it comes down to it. BUT the people you have on the phone to walk you through steps and the support behind you is second to NONE. IVe got a PV 200...and I love it. Difference with the 320/400 is a question of 200 Dpi. Also, the belt, 3.2 m wide has always been an issue for me.

ScotJ

If I buy a used VuTek do they still provide phone support? Or do you need to have a service plan with them?

BCV

quest for the best flatbed! under 150k

:Australia I was getting close to buying a Hp 910 - I sounds like a lot of unhappy uses out there - Is there anyone out there who like the hp 910 printer and is not having the problems you all tell.
Also on my list was a Techwin printer - the uv techstorm - if anyone has one i would love to know what they think of it

AtoZ signs

Hp/colorspan

Thanks for the phone calls. Anyone about to purchase a hp/colorspan printer please contact me at (504)-782-3200. I have compiled a list of hp/colorspan owners and information. These people would love to discuss thier experiences before you purchase a printer. I have a growing list with several different models. So please feel free to contact me and I am sure I have an owner that has had the model you may be looking to purchase.

AtoZ signs

Hp/colorspan

Just so everyone knows I am not just sour with hp/colorspan, I am in the process of scanning and listing on this site every time a technician has come to work on my machine. They leave a slip of what has had to be fixed/replaced. It will blow your mind the parts that have broken on my 9840. If you plan on reading through them I hope you have an hour or two set aside.

AtoZ signs

Hp/colorspan

I am still getting all the work orders from the visits from the technicians scanned in for my posting. Trust me the list is longer than you could imagine. I have compiled a list of Hp/colorspan owners who are willing to do depositions/testify on behalf of anyone battling with printer problems. I have 12 people willing to attest to the problems they have had at any time. I have even had some owners so upset they will be willing to spend thier own money to testify if needed. I believe I am getting the much needed support from signs 101 postings to accomplish solving my problem. One reader of my posting called to discuss my problem and behold it was an Hp/colorspan technical support supervisor wanting to know why i was posting on signs101. So do not think for one minute hp/colorspan is not monitoring this site. So please voice your opinions. I can still be reached at 504-782-3200 so please call and lets grow our list in the fight against hp/colorspan and the inferior machinery they have pushed on us.

AtoZ signs

I have chosen a different route since colorspan/hp last attempt at an offer. I have sent in an e-mail to 60 minutes with the my storyand several other peoples stories who have contacted me through this website. This morning I received an email from 60 minutes wanting to have a phone interview. They are interestd in reporting my story. Thanks to signs 101 for getting me and others together to hopefully report this story to people around the US. Anyone else interested in getting involved call me at 504-782-3200.

Thanks, Glenn

AtoZ signs

To everyone I have been speaking with and any one else who wants to share issues with Hp/colospan problems. I need a detailed letter sent to me with the events that have happened with your printers from day one. I need names of technicians; Phone conversations(phone bills showing amount of time spent on the phone); Invoices; Photos of bad prints. Any videos of a malfunctioning machines. Basically anything that would promote your situation. Please if at all possible send these letters and info notorized and certified to PO Box 334 Covington Louisiana 70434. I do have a dead line to get this information in. So please send the information as soon as possible.

Thanks, Glenn
504-782-3200

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
I own a colorspan 5465UV. Now called an HP 45500 UV printer. After reading all the posts I have come to realize that we are not the only one's to have nightmarish issues with this printer. I have spent approx. $15000 and lost countless business in the past year due to the inconsistencies of this printer and the misguided direction from our servic tech where we purchased the printer. Thank You for the info and I will monitor this site.

hugo_rodrigues

vutek 320/400 service manual

i have a vutek 320/400 FC+i have buy it from a company that closes. the problema is that some one has stolen one of the HDD of one of the computer on the machine. Does any one now have a servisse manual and software so i can put the machine to work?