• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy a new roll fed uv printer

uv

Hi Everyone, I hope your machines are buzzing away!

We currently have a fujifilm LED UV printer that we use to print mostly window PET films, and it has lost 2 heads and the suppliuer wants $4200 per head.

Looking for a good replacement printer

We have seen the mimaki UVLED but the white ink fails if it gets too wet and is unaceptable for us.

Does anybody have any experiance with anything similar and also any recomendations for a upgrade printer?

I no there is the Roland UV and Mutoh UV

Also does anybody know where to buy spectra diamatix heads from? digi print took my money but now have said the supplier does not have and do not know when they will be available?

any info would be great

Thanks

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
What is the application that is getting too wet for the Mimaki, I have not experienced that problem with their white ink.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We have seen the mimaki UVLED but the white ink fails if it gets too wet and is unaceptable for us.

This happened to one guy on a very specific material and is not true for all other users. I have customers all over the country who use the white ink without fail. Don't rule it out because it's a great machine!

aparat

Hi Everyone, I hope your machines are buzzing away!

We currently have a fujifilm LED UV printer that we use to print mostly window PET films, and it has lost 2 heads and the suppliuer wants $4200 per head.

Looking for a good replacement printer

Does anybody have any experiance with anything similar and also any recomendations for a upgrade printer?

I no there is the Roland UV and Mutoh UV

Also does anybody know where to buy spectra diamatix heads from? digi print took my money but now have said the supplier does not have and do not know when they will be available?

any info would be great

Thanks

I have some heads if you need

CL Visual

I've done a lot of research on roll to roll UV printers. I ultimately went with the Mutoh 1638UR and have been happy overall with it. I do wish I waited as Mimaki has now introduced a clear varnish for their unit. The Mimaki is probably the way to go at this point since it has the integrated cutter. It also has the ability to easily print 3 layer and 5 layer decals with contour cut which the mutoh doesn't have the ability to do.

Keep in mind that both of these machines are slow. 4x8 print with white ink takes at least 45 minutes, maybe longer. 3 layer printing consisting of cmyk - WW - cmyk, a 4x8 could take 2 hours. If you are producing in mass, neither of these machines will fit the bill and you'll need to go to something faster. Most of what we do are one off prints for events that mount on mirrors and we dont mind having the print take all day.

I went with the mutoh for the distinction of the clear cartridge. It looks amazing to spot varnish on a matte film like a wall wrap. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the mimaki now since it has the clear and the inline cutter. The bag system on the mutoh sucks as well. Always have to shake them, says they're empty when there is obviously 20% left in them. Have to change ink cards all the time. Mimaki has bottles and looks like a much more simple system.

Also, the white ink running on wet apply was quickly fixed when mimaki switched to an ink that 3m manufactures. I think thats the LUS170 but don't quote me on that.

Good luck with your purchase!

uv

What is the application that is getting too wet for the Mimaki, I have not experienced that problem with their white ink.
The mimaki reps printed some white ink on optic clear PET film and soaked it in water for a while and the ink just wiped off.

I was worried when installers wet apply it would be a problem.

uv

I've done a lot of research on roll to roll UV printers. I ultimately went with the Mutoh 1638UR and have been happy overall with it. I do wish I waited as Mimaki has now introduced a clear varnish for their unit. The Mimaki is probably the way to go at this point since it has the integrated cutter. It also has the ability to easily print 3 layer and 5 layer decals with contour cut which the mutoh doesn't have the ability to do.

Keep in mind that both of these machines are slow. 4x8 print with white ink takes at least 45 minutes, maybe longer. 3 layer printing consisting of cmyk - WW - cmyk, a 4x8 could take 2 hours. If you are producing in mass, neither of these machines will fit the bill and you'll need to go to something faster. Most of what we do are one off prints for events that mount on mirrors and we dont mind having the print take all day.

I went with the mutoh for the distinction of the clear cartridge. It looks amazing to spot varnish on a matte film like a wall wrap. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the mimaki now since it has the clear and the inline cutter. The bag system on the mutoh sucks as well. Always have to shake them, says they're empty when there is obviously 20% left in them. Have to change ink cards all the time. Mimaki has bottles and looks like a much more simple system.

Thanks for the info CL!
Speed isn't to mush of a problem for us.

I think the mutoh rep said today that there is a bulk ink upgrade for the new models

In regards to ink life, how long do you think you get before fading?

Can you print CMYK in fast mode?

Does the clear have a yellow tinge to it?

Sorry for all the questions, get back to me when you can i know its a busy time for all of us! haha

Merry Christmas