• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Low cost Orajet Media?

FlyingPete

Was down and the supplies store (Orafol dealer) the other day talking media, he made a comment in passing that the cold laminate Oraguard 215 I was using was the same as the Orajet clear printable gloss media (3551?) just did get handled and treated as well (Orajet gets all rolled up with the guys wearing gloves etc with and put in protective plastic, where the Oracal vinyls get cut, rolled and thrown in the back of the van).

So I thought is the same for the Orajet 3551 I have been using and the Oracal 551?

I grabbed a scrap piece of White gloss 551 I had and threw it through the printer to see what happened.

Well it appeared to work, no real discernible difference except the ink didn't bond right where there was some residue from the tape used to hold the roll together.

The only other obvious difference I can see is the Orajet has a grey backing , the Oracal has white.

So apart from general care and quality control and backing colour, is there anything else I am missing? 551 is a third the cost of 3551 in these parts.

I can wear the odd dud print as I am printing small graphics multiple up on sheets for cutting.