• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LXI Master- Issue opening some .ai and .eps files

smullen

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I did not see a forum especially for LXI... This was the closest I seen...

OK, I got my lynx (24")vinyl cutter up and running last night and I cut a few logo/designs just to try it out, get it all dialed in and figure out how this the software (LXi Master) works...

I did notice that when its running if I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, XP shows Flexi-Sign running vs. LXI.. ..

From what I have read LXi, is sort of a watered down version of Flexi packaged for signwarehouse for their Lynx cutters...

Anyway, the issue, I'm having now is, when I try to open certin images the application will crash, or maybe thats not the right term...

The application will just close when I open the file.... Its not all file its just certian ones...

They are all supposedly vector images with .eps and .ai extensions...
So I figure maybe the images are corrup... So I open up Adobe ILL CS and using that, they open and look just fine. I think I opened a few with Corel 12 as well...

So they open in other apps just fine, just not LXI...

Any Ideas???

Not like its a big sale or anything, but I do have a few customers wanting some of these images..

Mostly I just want to figure out what the issue is and how to get around it for future bigger customer jobs...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Pretty sure your issue is the highest version number that the Flexi/LXI import filter can deal with. I'd suggest you open the file in Illustrator and save it back to a legacy version such as version 3 or 5. If it is just simple black and white version 3 would be my choice. If more complex color, try versions 5, 7 and 8 and then see what the highest version number is that your LXI will open.

I don't have Illustrator CS but as I understand the layout of this application, you get to the Legacy file saving through File > Export

SA-SIGNTEK

I read that you say open instead of importing......I know when i bring in other formatted files i always import them and then i dont have problems at all. This may or not be of help to you, but its a thought.

Jay-Are

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
To Flexi, opening and importing are the same except that a new page is created when opening and the file is opened onto an existing page when importing.

One other issue to be aware of is with any of these graphic applications, they will always open or import to the best quality if you select the file type instead of allowing the "All Readable" setting to be used.

We see the issue all the time with files sent to us being in a later version than the particular application we want to use them in supports. the answer is, as I posted earlier, to open them in Illustrator and save them back to an earlier version.

jimdes

Typical VE LXi . . .

Or make the move to Corel. I have always had issues with the VE LVi software. I hate it. I've always done my design work in Corel and imported it to the Job manager to cut . . . then my software key went kaput on me and SW wouldn't replace it because I'm out of warranty. I installed the HPGL drivers from the SW website and cut directly from Corel (11) now. It took a little getting used to, but I honestly wish I had made this move earlier.

As far as file types are concerned, I've never had an issue with Corel not being able to work with anything I've thrown at it (yet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed) but there was always an issue with .ai and .eps files with VE LXi.

After working with the program for about six months I realized that a lot of the images I used were of inferior quality. The lines crossed, lots were open ended and they just plain 'ol SUCKED! SLowly but surely, I'm putting together a library of images I can rely upon. Next is Freds clipart collection I think. Try staying with quality, professional clipart, you'll thank yourself for it in the long run.

On an positive note, I really do like my Lynx 60 24" plotter. It ("Jean the Machine") has been very reliable, I'm happy with the HPGL driver and the old girl just chugs along. Make sure you give it a name and treat it like a partner in the business . . . I've found that even though it (Jean) is an inanimate object, if she gets fussy, a little love goes a long ways. :biggrin:

smullen

Fred Weiss said:
Pretty sure your issue is the highest version number that the Flexi/LXI import filter can deal with. I'd suggest you open the file in Illustrator and save it back to a legacy version such as version 3 or 5. If it is just simple black and white version 3 would be my choice. If more complex color, try versions 5, 7 and 8 and then see what the highest version number is that your LXI will open.

I don't have Illustrator CS but as I understand the layout of this application, you get to the Legacy file saving through File > Export
Sweet, you were exactly right on... I tried it, worked the 1st try!!!! :thumb:

The thing that sucks is I have tons of file like this on a CD I bought... This might force me to invest in Cocut or something else anyway...

Thank you much!!!!

smullen

Fred Weiss said:
Just curious ..... what is the CD title and publisher?
50,000+ VECTOR LOGOS CLIP ART VINYL SIGNS MONSTER CD's

In a previous post on here (I think it was) someone suggested going to ebay and doing a search on Vector art... So I did and I bought a few Cheap CDs with stuff on them...... There was not as much usefull as I had hoped... I was looking for some shapes or templates that would work nice for real estate signs and others small yard type signs....

I have a few people in real estate that I think I'll be able to get as clients once I'm up and I also have a few Lawn and Landscaping co owners that want me to make yard sigs and magnetic signs for their trucks...

Here is a link to that CD mentioned above

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25276&item=3835094360&rd=1

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Buying Co-Cut won't fix this particular problem unless you're planning to cut out of Illustrator. All that has happened is that whenever the compiler of that CD sat down to do it, he or she didn't know any better than to save them back to universally usable versions.