• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LXI "write port error

Tony Mc

I have an e-mail in to tech support for this problem but haven't heard back from them yet.

I have xp on a dell computer with 768 megs of ram. Running a 24" Utra Pro-T cutter with a usb to serial converter cable. Also a usb dongle.

"Sometimes" after hitting cut/plot a "write port error" comes up in production manager and nothing cuts. You have to delete it.....and try again. The thing that seems to fix it is to unplug the usb converter cable from the computer so it disconnects and plug it back in again. After this it may do it again in 10 minutes or maybe tomorrow.

Not sure if it's a port problem or a cable problem.....or a program problem.

Thanks for any help,
Tony

Barry

Ive had this happen before with flexi (Same program), the solution to the problem is to reset to the default settings.

Go to Start/Programs/LXI/Clear Preferences

You will have to re-configure your software again, but it did fix the problem for me.

Tony Mc

Thanks Barry....I will try that.

I have cleared the preferences before with a different problem a year or two ago, but not sure if I ever have with this particular problem. If that's does it.......it's a simple fix.

Thanks again,
Tony

jimdes

I abandoned VE LXi after I had several problems. I had the plotter and software for about 16 months and the dongle failed on me. $99 to get a new one! I gave them the one finger salute and made the move to Corel Draw.

Barry

jimdes said:
I abandoned VE LXi after I had several problems. I had the plotter and software for about 16 months and the dongle failed on me. $99 to get a new one! I gave them the one finger salute and made the move to Corel Draw.
I use both Flexi/LXI & Corel. Flexi does alot of things better than Corel and Corel does a lot of things better than Flexi. Its hard to find one program that does everything well.

Dale Horn

I have xp on a dell computer with 768 megs of ram. Running a 24" Utra Pro-T cutter with a usb to serial converter cable. Also a usb dongle.

Couple things you need to check here - Your operating system may have the powersave setting on (in control panel) an is shutting your USB port off.

A null modem cable connected to one of your COM ports would solve this problem also. If you're short on COM ports you could install another PCI card to get two more ports.
:Canada:

Tony Mc

I feel your pain jimdes......I've had two get struck by lightening. Lucky for me it was covered and the versions were out of date, so I got a free upgrade.

Barry, that's pretty much how I do it too. LXI/Flexi is great when it comes to cutting, but I can't design in it. For me, corel is much easier to design in.

Thanks Dale....I'll try a couple things and see what happens. I checked in the control panel and it was all set to "never hibernate".......is that what you mean?

I have enough usb ports to plug everything in...for now anyway.

What does a null modem cable do?

Tony

Dale Horn

Tony Mc you need to go to control panel > system > hardware >device manager > USB check the properties - uncheck the box that says allow computer to turn off port to save power.

Null modem cable - looks exactly like a straight through cable but has a different wiring.

Here's what a computer guy would say:
Null Modem Cable
After all, isn't this why you came to this site?

The purpose of a null-modem cable is to permit two RS-232 "DTE" devices to communicate with each other without modems or other communication devices (i.e., "DCE"s) between them.

To achieve this, the most obvious connection is that the TD signal of one device must be connected to the RD input of the other device (and vice versa).

Also, however, many DTE devices use other RS-232 pins for out-of-band (i.e., "hardware") flow control. One of the most common schemes is for the DTE (the PC) to assert the RTS signal if it is ready to receive data (yes, it DOES sound backwards, but that's how it works), and for the DCE (the modem) to assert CTS when it is able to accept data. By connecting the RTS pin of one DTE to the CTS pin of the other DTE, we can simulate this handshake.

Also, it is common convention for many DTE devices to assert the DTR signal when they are powered on, and for many DCE devices to assert the DSR signal when they are powered on, and to assert the CD signal when they are connected. By connecting the DTR signal of one DTE to both the CD and DSR inputs of the other DTE (and vice versa), we are able to trick each DTE into thinking that it is connected to a DCE that is powered up and online. As a general rule, the Ring Indicate (RI) signal is not passed through a null-modem connection.

Ka-pish?

:Canada:

Either way if you just change your USB power setting you're off to the races. :Cool 2:

Peosta

is anyone out there, i have done as tony suggested and still nothing

I am wondering if there is another solution??

I have an e-mail in to tech support for this problem but haven't heard back from them yet.

"Sometimes" after hitting cut/plot a "write port error" comes up in production manager and nothing cuts. You have to delete it.....and try again. The thing that seems to fix it is to unplug the usb converter cable from the computer so it disconnects and plug it back in again. After this it may do it again in 10 minutes or maybe tomorrow.

Not sure if it's a port problem or a cable problem.....or a program problem.

Thanks for any help,
Tony