• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac cutter software, need advise

101numlock

I have searched on the forums but most of the responses are from years past. What are you Mac guys using for design and cutting? I have sure cuts a lot software but I'm looking around and if there is anything better or more stable. I have no experience with any other cutting software so I don't have anything to compare it to. Or is what I have about as good as it gets for Macs ?

QuickSilver2605

We have a Graphtec so I design in Illustrator and use Cutting Master and it works well. I don't use my Mac for any printing, the PC handles that, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how a print cut does on it. But for just plane cut vinyl works just fine.

WildWestDesigns

I don't use Macs for work, but I can tell you that I can cut directly from Ai, Corel (won't really affect you) and Inkscape to my Roland. You might be able to cut directly from those programs depending on which cutter you have. Worth a shot anyway. I do know that I have to be aware of what order everything was created in when I cut directly from those programs, so that can be tedious depending on the run.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
cutting on macs

Finecut with our mimaki CG 130 works really well.
we also use flexi 8.5.1

both run on 10.6

i am not going to update any further since nothing over here is broken....

JoeBoomer

CutMaster or Finecut

I've have used both:

1.) Illustrator w/ Cutmaster plugin to cut directly from Illustrator (Graphtec FC7000 plotter)

and now

2.) Illustrator w/ FineCut plugin to cut directly from Illustrator as well (Mimaki CG-130FX)

CutMaster is free by the way

- Go Team

Finecut with our mimaki CG 130 works really well.
we also use flexi 8.5.1

both run on 10.6

i am not going to update any further since nothing over here is broken....

erdem06

Software

Dear sir where can i find the software fineCut 8 for illustrator (for mac and pc) ???

Please Help me I can not work with a trial anymore..

I've have used both:

1.) Illustrator w/ Cutmaster plugin to cut directly from Illustrator (Graphtec FC7000 plotter)

and now

2.) Illustrator w/ FineCut plugin to cut directly from Illustrator as well (Mimaki CG-130FX)

CutMaster is free by the way

- Go Team

Enviroplus

Mac software for designing and cutting.

I have a Contour 4800 48" cutter. The sales place set me up with signcut and inkscape which worked with no problems on PC.

I parked the cutter after a cutting job for 3 years and since switch everything in my business to Mac which also work with no problems.

Now I wanted to use the cutter with the Mac and now its a total nightmare. I have been on the phone with the the place I have purchased the cutter from to signcut and so far the whole experience is been a wast of time. When I create in inkscape then export to signcut, signcut closes and I have to start up all over again. I have wasted HOURS of my life trying to get this to work from deleting the software to re-installing and over, and over and over with no luck

IS there software that I can design in and cut without using two different software. Because one of the two I have does not like the other and I just want to cut some vinyl with out any drama and wasting allot of time in which we all do not have.

Please HELP!!!

Thanks

Dennis

WildWestDesigns

I have a Contour 4800 48" cutter. The sales place set me up with signcut and inkscape which worked with no problems on PC.

I parked the cutter after a cutting job for 3 years and since switch everything in my business to Mac which also work with no problems.

Now I wanted to use the cutter with the Mac and now its a total nightmare. I have been on the phone with the the place I have purchased the cutter from to signcut and so far the whole experience is been a wast of time. When I create in inkscape then export to signcut, signcut closes and I have to start up all over again. I have wasted HOURS of my life trying to get this to work from deleting the software to re-installing and over, and over and over with no luck

IS there software that I can design in and cut without using two different software. Because one of the two I have does not like the other and I just want to cut some vinyl with out any drama and wasting allot of time in which we all do not have.

Please HELP!!!

Thanks

Dennis

Do you have the driver for your cutter? Can you not just cut within Inkscape (at like your sending a job to a printer, but the printer being your cutter)? I know on my Rolands, I can do that within Inkscape, Ai, and X5. Now you do have to make sure that the file is setup in the sequence that you want it to cut in, some software will change objects for efficiency, but you'll have to do that on your own if you use Ai, Inkscape and/or DRAW.

sign_noob

Please HELP!!!

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis,

can an you send an example file so we can look at it? Maybe there is something wrong with the export. Have you tried saving the file to PDF and importing into signcut?

Enviroplus

Still trying to get my cutter to work

Do you have the driver for your cutter? Can you not just cut within Inkscape (at like your sending a job to a printer, but the printer being your cutter)? I know on my Rolands, I can do that within Inkscape, Ai, and X5. Now you do have to make sure that the file is setup in the sequence that you want it to cut in, some software will change objects for efficiency, but you'll have to do that on your own if you use Ai, Inkscape and/or DRAW.

Yes, I still have the driver and everything is current. I was on with tech support for sign cut about a week ago, they did a remote desktop access and got it working. I finished a project, the next time I tried to use it, she thing is happening.

I took advice from another member here and tried to print using inkscape. I got this error "No application is registered as handling this file" I feel inkscape is the problem I have installed, re-installed, re-started computer and I just want to use something with tech support. Inkscape with it being open source there is NO tech support.

I do not mind purchasing something that works and has tech support. Then I hope I can get back to cutting.

Dennis

WildWestDesigns

Yes, I still have the driver and everything is current. I was on with tech support for sign cut about a week ago, they did a remote desktop access and got it working. I finished a project, the next time I tried to use it, she thing is happening.

I took advice from another member here and tried to print using inkscape. I got this error "No application is registered as handling this file" I feel inkscape is the problem I have installed, re-installed, re-started computer and I just want to use something with tech support. Inkscape with it being open source there is NO tech support.

I do not mind purchasing something that works and has tech support. Then I hope I can get back to cutting.

Dennis

Actually there is support, but it's mainly user generated support. Not through the people that maintain the project. So you would have to Google to find the answer that you are looking for.

You might could try CoCut with Inkscape, as CoCut does put out a plugin for Inkscape as well as for Ai, and DRAW.

I would check with CoCut first to make sure that they support your cutter.