• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac w/ PC network

dlndesign

Ok, I have an opportunity to get a mac at my desk. So I need to know a few things to make sure that I have a good solid case for getting one, before I bring it to my boss.

So a few questions, has anyone used a mac on a pc network. We have 6 computers, all PC, on a network that hooks up to our terra drive. I need to know what issues there may be with throwing a mac into the mix?

Fonts, I know can be an issue when it comes to macs and pc's, but if I hook up the mac to run windows, will I still have the same issue?

Since I am on the topic, if I can run windows on the mac, should I essentially have any issues working with other pc's period? If there is please let me know.

The main reason why i want the mac. #1, Stability, no crashing issues, at least not as common place and pretty well protected from viruses.

If there is any big gaps in my questioning, please let me know if I am totally missing something that I should know about. But the main thing is compatibility

cgsigns_jamie

If you want the stability of a Mac then run Mac OS 10 not Windows. Windows on a Mac is exactly the same as Windows on a PC.

That being said Mac's work great in a PC environment. My workstation is a MacPro and I have it configured to connect to my Windows domain controller. I'm able to connect to all the same network shares and use all my files on my Mac just as easily as if I were on a Windows computer.

As for the fonts most of your Windows fonts will work with out an issue on a Mac.

If you purchase a Mac you will need Mac versions of all your software so keep that in mind when figuring costs.

If you have Windows only programs that you need to use I would recommend using VMware Fusion (I have Paralles but like fusion better) so you can run Windows and Mac OS at the same time without having to restart the computer. Keep in mind you will still need a licensed copy of Windows to install.

dlndesign

Ok, thanks for the info. So my main points are if I get a mac, I'll need all new programs, obviously, and your sayng that even if I run a mac and use window I am still getting the same windows problems? How so?

Also, is there anyone that has used the Flexi for Mac, any good? Troubles in communication between machines? Thanks.

mondo

The only problem with networking both mac and pc is you have to restart your mac for it to see the pc. This is a problem with the current OS but not with the previous one, which is the Tiger (meow!) My PC and Mac can see each other when I was on Tiger but when I switch to leopard my PC could not see my mac. Its one of the issue of leopard.

cgsigns_jamie

The only problem with networking both mac and pc is you have to restart your mac for it to see the pc. This is a problem with the current OS but not with the previous one, which is the Tiger (meow!) My PC and Mac can see each other when I was on Tiger but when I switch to leopard my PC could not see my mac. Its one of the issue of leopard.

Not so, you have to make sure that file sharing is turned on. All my Macs run 10.5 (leopard) and none have any issues seeing my Windows computer, and my Windows computers have no problem seeing my Macs.

Ok, thanks for the info. So my main points are if I get a mac, I'll need all new programs, obviously, and your sayng that even if I run a mac and use window I am still getting the same windows problems? How so?

Also, is there anyone that has used the Flexi for Mac, any good? Troubles in communication between machines? Thanks.

Yes if you get a Mac you will have to buy the Mac version of your applications.

The reasons you will have the same issues with Windows on a Mac is because the issues are with the software (Windows) so changing the hardware (running Windows on Mac hardware) won't do anything to fix those problems.

I have beta tested the Mac version of Flexi 8.5 and it worked just a good as the Windows version. You can even connect to a remote Production Manager running on a Windows PC with out any issues. All the tools and menus are the same so it won't take long to get used running the Mac version if your used to using Flexi in Windows.

Former member

We have 4 mac pros and two PC's in my shop. No network problems whatsoever.
True type & Open Type fonts work on both platforms.
I actually have windows installed on my mac and it runs great..but then again I only use it for a few things like checking what a web page will look like in a pc environment.
CG is right, windows is the same no matter what hardware it resides on.
But anyway you wont have any problems with the mac in your office... buy it.

dlndesign

Blade, great, your exactly who I want to talk to. Is there any issues at all? I read that you have no network problems, but is there anything else that may or becomes an issue with anything else?

I follow what you and cg are saying about windows, its the same no matter what, which is fine, just needed to get a first hand opinion.

Many thanks!

Former member

Nope- No issues- just make sure your network settings ( password, etc) on the mac are the same the pc's and that's it. Its really pretty easy. I exchange all the common files ( ai. psd, eps pdf flexi jpg etc) between operating systems without any problems.