• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Machine suggestions: digital printing on ribbon

TTblasto

I'm trying to create a new product for our business. We currently offer custom wrapping paper where customers upload an image to our site, we crop the face, and then apply it to their chosen, repeating holiday pattern. I was hoping to augment this offering with customized wrapping paper ribbon, but I'm struggling with finding a machine with the right capabilities.

The substrate would likely be satin ribbon (most likely polyester) ranging from 1-3+ inches in width. Roll-to-roll would be ideal, but if we have to manually wind up a roll for a customer that wouldn't be the end of the world. We have a number of different roll to roll solvent printers, but they are all geared toward wide format and the minimum widths they can handle are much too wide for this application.

There are a number of offerings out there that are either monochromatic or do heated foil stamping, but that is not what I'm after. I'm wanting full color printing. This is an example of the closest to what I'm trying to accomplish.

Here is what I've been able to find thus far:

* This is a machine that seems to be out of Italy. Looks to check all my boxes. I reached out to them, and the issue would be the price. This is a new/unproven product, so forking over something north $50k is a bit steep at this stage.
* Here is a video of another machine that looks to fit the bill, and this is the website I've been able to find for it. The video is a few years old, so it is unclear if it is still made. I've tried reaching out, but the manufacturer/vendor appear to be based in China and I haven't heard back yet.
* In my searching, I've recently had the idea to check on digital label printing machines. There seem to be a couple of different options that print narrow enough labels. The big question becomes whether or not they can print to polyester, which I'm a little pesemistic on. None are advertising for what I'm after, but I've reached out and am waiting to hear back.

So I thought I would throw it out to the wisdom of the forum. I'm guessing there is some stupidly simple answer that I'm not thinking about, so anything and everything is welcome. Have you dealt with any machine that would be able to manage what I'm after? Is there anything at the more entry level of the pricing spectrum for me to experiment with?

Thanks!

garyroy

This thing has been around for years.....

This one too....

somcalmetim

I think a buddy just took delivery of one of those Italian label machine you were looking at...price sounds right...I could check if it does ribbon...
I would doubt they make a full color printer for a traditionally multicolored and very thin substrate like ribbons...especially one so tied to a holiday with tinsel and foils like ribbon.
-could buy white ribbon and somehow temporarily glue/tape it down in larger sheets for printing...head strike anyone?
-or maybe dye sublimating polyester sheets in bulk then cutting?...laser?
-make roll of HTV labels and heat press onto ribbon?