• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic material?

ABBOTARTDEPT

Can i print directly onto magnetics with the mimaki? and if so, can i use the plotter to score shapes into the magnetic? I use the jv3-160 printer and cg-160 fx plotter.

ChicagoGraphics

It's better to print onto vinyl and then apply to the magnetic, unless you want to take the chances of head strikes. I have cutout upto .30 mag on my cutter, I wouldnt do it all day long but it does work.

S

Stan B

Don't use your Mimaki to print on magnet. 80/20% to ruin the magnnet with head strike. Print on vinyl and laminate on magnet

thesignguy1986

I've cut out many things with my cutter...granted I have a new star omega that in the specs says it can cut ot magnetic....Id definatlly print the magnetic on vinyl and well if you want give your plotter a shot and scoring the magnetic and the tearing the access waste off

ABBOTARTDEPT

yeah i usually float the vinyl. was hoping to find a way to cut custom shapes out of the magnet with the plotter. thanks guys.

sh6037

If you have access to one, we've had good luck using our laser engraver to contour cut the magnetics, but we still laminate a digital print to the magnetic vs. printing directly on to it.