• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

making an outline of an outline draw12

KPC

I've done this in the past, but forget how I did it.

I need to make an outline of an outline, so that I can layer vinyl.

I take the word TEST

I make a hairline outline which is my cutcontour line, then send it to the cutter.

Then I load a different color vinyl in the machine, go back and replace the hairline with a 2pt outline. I need to weld or flatten the 2pt outline to the base TEST graphic, then make a hairline cutcontour around the 2pt outline, then send that to the cutter.

Now I would have two pieces of different color vinyl, one 2pt larger than the other, able to be layered.

Anyone know of a better way to achieve this result.

On a side note, is there a way to make an outline to the original TEST that would be in proportionate scale to the size of the actual word TEST if it was enlarged.

The problem with setting a fixed 2pt outline, is if the word TEST is cut at 8" long, the 2pt outline might look proportionately correct, but if the word is enlarged to 80" long, the outline would need to be 20pt.

But from my little experience working with Corel, when you set the outline to be 2pt, if you stretch the graphic, the outline remains at 2pt. The outline doesn't enlarge at the same scale when you stretch the actual graphic.

Whew, I hope someone can follow what I'm trying to say. Let me know.

:thankyou:

Replicator

highlight . break contour apart . new outline on first outline . . . Easy !

Each part that you want to cut should only have a hairline/outline around it . . . not 2pt !

KPC

Each part that you want to cut should only have a hairline/outline around it . . . not 2pt !

The example stated with the 2pt outline is to give spacing between the original hairline cutcontour around the word TEXT.

Then add a 2pt outline, and add another hairline outline which is the cutcontour.

That way the second piece of vinyl is cut 2pt larger than just the word TEXT.

Then I load a different color vinyl in the machine, go back and replace the hairline with a 2pt outline. I need to weld or flatten the 2pt outline to the base TEST graphic, then make a hairline cutcontour around the 2pt outline, then send that to the cutter.

Now I would have two pieces of different color vinyl, one 2pt larger than the other, able to be layered.

But as mentioned in the second portion of my initial post, the 2pt outline is fixed and doesn't enlarge in proportion/scale when the word TEXT is enlarged.

I tried using the contour function, and it remains fixed at whatever offset was set.

So if the word TEXT is 8" long and set with a .02 inch offset contour, if the word TEXT is stretched to 80" long, the contour offset is still .02 inch.

If the word TEXT is stretched to 80" long, the offset should become .20 inch to remain proportionate.

One more thing: I was messing around with adding a outside contour to some simple designs, and the contour function makes some designs look distorted.

My original idea of making a slightly larger outline, locking/welding/flattening, whatever the technical name is, to where the outline becomes part of the actual design, making the design slightly larger, then adding a hairline cutcontour would be best for what I'm trying to accomplish.

So ultimately, I just need to know how I can take a design, make a outline around it, and lock that outline to be natually part of the original design, so that I can add another outline which is my hairline cutcontour.

I want to stay away from using the contour function, because it made the design look distorted. The outline function worked perfectly. Just need to know how to add an outline ontop of an outline. :rolleyes:

Jackpine

Don't use an outline ..... contour to make a new vector. You could "convert outline to object" but contour is quicker and will allow you to assign a color to the object to cut layered graphics. The contour object scales with the other objects.

KPC

1.jpg

Last edited:

vid

...But from my little experience working with Corel, when you set the outline to be 2pt, if you stretch the graphic, the outline remains at 2pt. The outline doesn't enlarge at the same scale when you stretch the actual graphic.

In the Outline Menu there is a checkbox to "Scale With Image". By default it is not checked. In that same menu, you can also check a box to place the outline "Behind Fill" if you want.

Once it is at the size that you want, under the object menu you can "Convert Outlines to Objects." You'll still need to weld that to your fill to create the a composite image.

One thing that is nice about working this way with outlines over the contour offset, is the ability to round the corners of your borders, (or outlines.)(Edit to add: Guess you know that, though --- didn't see your edit with the pics)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Bill43mx

There is also a way to do this using the contour function. The trick is that after creating the contour you must go to "Arrange" and click "break contour group apart". Then when you grab both items (the letter and the contour) they will both scale proportionally.