• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making jigs for printing small items on UV flatbed printer

Signout

Hi everyone,
We have a UV flatbed printer, but we do not have a router yet, is anyone out there hand making jigs to hold multiple smaller items in place
to print on? Would anyone like to share some tips and tricks on this subject?
Thanks in advance!

SebastienL

Never made one by hand, only with a cnc router. But I don't see why you couldn't make one by hand. Obviously, your print file must match your template. So, probably better to make your layout in Illy rather than let the rip do repeats. It will be easier to move one tile in Illy if your template is off. Your openings in your template should be a bit larger than your part. maybe 1/32" all around. 1/8" bleed should be enough.

Oh yeah, the material for your jig must be thiner than your printed pieces!! Tape your jig to your table so it doesn't move when switching the work pieces.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

dlndesign

Okay, a gig isn't the way to go. Removable Tape is the best option, 3M makes a good one. I have printed pieces 2" x 2" on a flatbed with 2 mm of head space. This works. Also when you start the run, do a template of the outer shape, and keep the art board to the same dimensions. This keeps it exact. Then print it on the bed. Once you have your step and repeat set up, take the art file (the exact same dimensions) use it with the same step and repeat and you have yourself a layout to place your pieces on. Then apply the tape to the areas where you can safely attach the pieces, whatever they may be. Then throw your vacuums on, and if you have a segmented vacuum chamber, cut the ones that are not being used off. Lay down your material. You may notice on some brands of flatbeds the vacuum isn't actually sucking through all the holes on the bed, for a tiny 2"x2" piece this makes a huge difference, so you be the judge of what works for your piece. Once you have it down, check your head height, and your ready to run.
Then you can remove these pieces and re-use the tape, depending on how many times you need it for, don't use it for an extended run of more than 5-6 beds, the tape just looses its gip and you need to re-apply.

Hope this helps.

http://www.cmykthis.com

Signout

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it! All good ideas, thought I may try the 3M tape, is there a specific one you use?

MrNick86

I find that placing masking tape on the bed and printing alignment marks on the bed itself works great to get your exact placement. Then, reinforce it by using something like .030 styrene cut into 1"x3" strips and place those with double sided masking tape. That way your target is locked in every time.

That is how I make a "jig".