• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Manual Rotary Engraving Newbie

seateapea

Hi folks, thanks for letting me in!

I was just given 2 New Hermes Engravographs, and over a dozen letter sets. I managed to find a manual online for them, so that's a big help, but I am wondering if there's folks here with the knowledge I know I'm going to need to tap into as I start working with it. I found the CNC engraving forums here, but I didn't see one for these old machines (not surprising) I'll post over there after reading posts for a while to see if there's anyone with manual machine experience.

btw, just going to be using it for in-house signs and tags, so no need to get a CNC setup for us...in case that was anyone's first thought :)

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance!
ctp

JBurton

Signtologist
Welcome. Share some pictures of your equipment to see if anybody else remembers using them. Honestly the different sections of the forum don't necessarily get more traction than others, so this post is just as likely to be seen by everyone as any given other section. I have one of these tucked away somewhere, but I don't even think my dad used it back in the day.

netsol

a good friend has one. he does vehicle restoration & does something questionable so he ends up with matching serial numbers

CanuckSigns

Our business started with one of those machines engraving pet tags and novelty license plates weekend's and evenings 28 years ago.

It's a very labour intensive process, and you will want to throw it out the window when the $25 engraved tag takes you 60 minutes to setup and engrave, but they are solid machines. Plus they are heavy so they have some scrap value when you get fed up with it lol.

seateapea

Hey, thanks for the responses! I found some resources online after I discovered that in its later years they changed the name to "gravograph". Turns out THEY STILL make them!!! Wow, amazing. Been having a blast with it, so far, once I figured out a few things. And yeah, I'm not doing any client work with it, so no worries on how long it takes to make something. Just some in-house tags, and a bit of fun too. Thanks again, folks!!! I'll be back if I hit any major roadblocks.

AndreaRotela

Our business started with one of those machines engraving pet tags and novelty license plates weekend's and evenings 28 years ago.

It's a very labour intensive process, and you will want to throw it out the window when the $25 engraved tag takes you 60 minutes to setup and engrave, but they are solid machines. Plus they are heavy so they have some scrap value when you get fed up with it lol.
true story!