• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mapping a network drive

gabagoo

I need to be able to get into my main computer via my laptop and can't remember how to map the drive. Anyone out htere know a step by step way to get in?

jiarby

Start- Run - type "cmd" (no quotes) then click enter
Then type in the DOS-style window

net use <drive letter>: <source> /persistent:yes

For example:

net use d: \\laser-pc\sharedfolder /persistent:yes

You can also browse the network using network neighborhood, find the share you want to map to then rt-click it and choose "map network drive"

If your user permissions are right you could access the c:\ drive on the main PC like as simple as this:

net use k: \\main-pc\c$ (drive letter chosen is a personal preference)

The persistent switch just makes the OS try to map the share every time you login.

Networking rules apply: same IP scheme, subnet mask, workgroup name. User loged in on laptop has to have permissions on the main-pc to access the files.

PM me if you have trouble.

SignBurst PCs

Start- Run - type "cmd" (no quotes) then click enter
Then type in the DOS-style window

net use <drive letter>: <source> /persistent:yes

For example:

net use d: \\laser-pc\sharedfolder /persistent:yes

You can also browse the network using network neighborhood, find the share you want to map to then rt-click it and choose "map network drive"

If your user permissions are right you could access the c:\ drive on the main PC like as simple as this:

net use k: \\main-pc\c$ (drive letter chosen is a personal preference)

The persistent switch just makes the OS try to map the share every time you login.

Networking rules apply: same IP scheme, subnet mask, workgroup name. User loged in on laptop has to have permissions on the main-pc to access the files.

PM me if you have trouble.

I always use the IP address when mapping my network drives. The "browsing" service that is used in the "network neighborhood" is soooo flaky sometimes. Using the actual IP address is much more reliable.

Like jiarby, I use the \\ipaddress\share name format. But I do it a little differently.

I will go into "My Computer" and use the "Map Network Drive" button. When asked for the path, then I type in the \\ipaddress\share name.