• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mason Street ID Sign printer

EoD

I have an old Mason Street LX2000 ID Sign printer that prints 7x44in cardstock. The unit is a modified Epson I believe.

I have been looking for either parts to repair this or some other machine options. I am doing trade show work and this is for printing the signs that identify the exhibitor booths.

I know Mason Street Graphics offers a new version of their printer, but at $10,000 I am want to make sure it is my only option before dropping that money.

Robert Boyd

If your Mason Street setup is as old as ours, the printer is an EPSON STYLUS 900
I have seen these on Ebay - used for a couple of hundred bucks. Hope this helps

wweaver

re: Mason Street and Epson 900N

These printers really don't exist much any longer - what you can find on Ebay is parts only and the one guy who used to refurbish them no longer does.
So - has anyone come up with a new printer that handles our 7x44 signs?

klmiller611

follow up on the previous comment

I work at the same company as the previous poster, and I can offer to expand a bit on what he said. We had 7-8 of the 900s, they had been refurbished by a place in New York, over time, it was about $300 a printer. They did great work, but the last time I called, 4-5 years back now, they told me they could no longer refurbish the 900s, they simply could not get parts. All of ours are plugged up. I've cleaned, followed suggestions, but I think the Mason Street ink system was mostly the cause of it, they seem to last longer and print better using the cartridges.

However, I've calculated that I average printing about 1,800 booth signs a month, with virtually nothing in December, January and July. So they got a pretty good work out. However, no matter what, I could print about 50 signs before the heads plugged, and had to spend 15-20 minutes trying to clear them, then maybe get another 10-15 signs, and repeat ad infinitum.

So, with all the printers on the fritz what am I doing?

I'm printing booth signs on our Agfa Anapurna, in groups of 6 signs at a time, load 3, then load 3 more. Takes a tiny bit longer than the Epsons, but there is sure a lot less waste of signboards, or headcleaning. The ink cost is considerably less too. However, I'd still love to find a current day solution to print these back on a desk top printer.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Best
Ken