• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matthews Paint

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We don't use Matthews but we have had to jump around in order to get paint but even more so with epoxy primer. Omni to valspar industrial and now onto some new brand. We had a hard time getting macropoxy for a job so we had to request a change in spec and used BLP. We tried to get safety yellow the other day and were told it's backordered for 3 weeks from our main supplier. A friend of mine said he couldn't get super paint from Sherwin Williams either. You should probably start looking at backups with everything the way it is right now.

Notarealsignguy

Glad you mentioned that, I have a spec'd job I'm holding onto a bit of black for, but I don't think we put back any primer for it. I thought these hiccups were behind us? Does anybody know if the shortage is from the rollercoaster of demand that is finally giving us whiplash, or if there is something going on?
I was told that they were waiting on raw materials at the factory. They could mix safety yellow for me but it's out of a clear base and doesnt cover for shit compared to a factory pack. I think they sneak a little lead in it

Scotchbrite

No comment
It has been awhile since we needed any MAP, I didn't realize they were running short. I've been looking for Chromatic Bulletin 101 white for nearly a year.

Notarealsignguy

Well isn't that just sweet of them?
I didn't think lead was outlawed for all paints, but I reckon by the time anybody washes it down the drain it starts making folks pretty dumb.
It may not be, this doesn't have it in it though. I do know that they just outlawed retail sales of the good paint stripper, Methylene Chloride. It really sucks trying to clean up the outside of pressure pots and neglected spray guns without it.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
It may not be, this doesn't have it in it though. I do know that they just outlawed retail sales of the good paint stripper, Methylene Chloride. It really sucks trying to clean up the outside of pressure pots and neglected spray guns without it.
Try acrylic fabricators or their suppliers....it's glue to us although it's also a liquid for us and not a gel like paint strippers often are. Or just chemical companies....although that could get your name on a list depending on the rules for your area.

Devon19515

I found out they had a material shortage before Christmas and an equipment breakdown right at new years. They are apparently back up and running and trying to ship to distributers as of yesterday.

Asuma01

Matthews paint shortage still continues. What's their excuse now?
We had a Sherwin Williams rep in here the other day trying to capitalize on matthews dropping the ball.

Notarealsignguy

May be going this route, but Matthews said they were distributing product either this week or next.
My distributor was really wary of swapping us to Akzo, evidently it's different everything, and the $5k of colors we have stocked would go in the dumpster to get a free mixing station and setup from Akzo. (it may not be 5k, it's not any more than fits in the mixing rack)
They must use a lot of the same material suppliers because ours told us they should have material monday/tuesday and it's not Matthews or any PPG brand. I wouldn't switch products. As soon as you do you'll find out the issues that they are having and be back in the same boat.

Notarealsignguy

Most likely. We have 1/2 a gallon of black, which was delivered and signed off on for some contract piece, which we only need about a 1/4 cup to actually paint the part. Since it's not going to be fabbed for a month, we're trying not to use 'all of' the black up, so salesmen are pushing any other color. It's funny that most folks will just accept a black or a white cabinet, no questions, just the first thing they see with their logo on it and they are sold. So lots of white stuff lately.
We go through 15 gals +/- of Oxford white (Ford white) a week. There are a lot of different whites but it's so much easier to stock 1 color so we push everyone to that.
Like the model T, you have 1 choice, black.
Imron has a good price on their factory pack white and black. I think we pay $125 per sprayable gallon. Its gloss which may not work for you.