• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media and laminate question

Zack Bunning

Okay, so now that I have my machine printing good now, I have some newbie questions lol. Is buying rapid air release media worth the extra money if i am going to be laminating it? Also, what media would everyone recommend for doing dirt track racing wraps? Also, a recommendation for laminate film. 80% of my jobs are dirt track racing related. I have always used Oracal products in the past, is that still the best product to use? Thank you guys in advance!

unclebun

Air release media is a must if you are going to be doing wraps. It's difficult to get a smooth application even on a flat 4'x8' sign with non-air-release media. And when doing wraps you will need the repositionability of air release wrap media.

I would say the best material to use is the same thing you would use to wrap any vehicle, a cast wrap vinyl and its matching cast wrap laminate. Whether Avery, Arlon, 3M or Oracal is really up to personal preference. They all will work.

That said, I have done some modifieds using calendared air release vinyl laminated with a calendared laminate, but we were only doing the flat surfaces on the sides, rear and roof. You'll run into trouble trying to do hood bulges or moulded nose cones with calendared material.

mkmie

Lost Soul
The laminate does not affect the air release. Air release is basically small channels in the adhesive that allows you to push the air out the sides. Air does not "evaporate" from the surface. If I were you I would stick with what you have used and know as far as product. You are probably doing a lot of repairs on the vehicles and different vinyl brands will print differently and your repairs may not match up color wise. If you change product do it in the new season. We use Avery 1105/1360. Not perfect but the most consistent.