• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Merging names with photos in a design to then export

jeffkics

Sign Says
I have a High School graduation that I need to merge / insert 700 photos with their names.

I have a excel file with each name and then the ID number for their jpeg photo. Then I have a folder with all the photos.

The yearbook company gave this to me.

I need to do a master page with my design for the yard signs I am making, then insert the picture and name in the appropriate areas, then export that into a printable file. Is this possible and how ?

Thank you in advance this is a big one for me!

alevit53

We set up a template in "INDESIGN", create a CSV from the Excel sheet with just the first name and path to the image. It will create a mulitpage PDF or individual files.

brycesteiner

We set up a template in "INDESIGN", create a CSV from the Excel sheet with just the first name and path to the image. It will create a mulitpage PDF or individual files.
Exactly what you said. I think he would have to add another column in that CSV file that is generated from the file name that also includes the name. There is a Indesign script that will automate the creation of the CSV for your computer. I have attached that and where it should be located.
It happens so fast that you may not think that it did anything. I have to and resort in the CSV file to get them in the order I want because for some reason since updating to APFS format it put them random order. Just check out the file and add in the column with the names and the data merge should be successful.

Attachments

• imagesToCSV104.jsx.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.18.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.18.54 AM.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 151

RICHARD SIMMONS

I have a High School graduation that I need to merge / insert 700 photos with their names.

I have a excel file with each name and then the ID number for their jpeg photo. Then I have a folder with all the photos.

I need to do a master page with my design for the yard signs I am making, then insert the picture and name in the appropriate areas, then export that into a printable file. Is this possible and how ?

Hi !! Take a look of this.

RICHARD SIMMONS

An if you handle .ai, look at this

jeffkics

Sign Says

I am not familiar with INDESIGN although I do have it. I would need help if you could. I have the base design done in CorelDraw. Can I use that?

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com

Have you looked at the size of the images? Generally, images in a pspa format are very small.

jeffkics

Sign Says
Hi !! Take a look of this.

Can this pull the corresponding picture to the persons name? The uniqueID# has the name of the JPEG that is located in a different folder. So VAR1 can be the persons name, VAR2 is the UniqueID.jpeg but it needs to find that picture and pull it, not just put that text in. Does that make sense?

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer

Since this is in the Corel Forum, I have to assume that you do not have the Adobe Suite. What size is your cloroplast signs going to be? What resolution in dpi is the photos provided to you?

jeffkics

Sign Says
Since this is in the Corel Forum, I have to assume that you do not have the Adobe Suite. What size is your cloroplast signs going to be? What resolution in dpi is the photos provided to you?
I have all Adobe products too. I just use coreldraw as my main layout software
they are 18x24, photos are 300dpi

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Honestly this is a 2 minute process in indesign I’ve got pretty much nailed now. The hardest part is on the Mac you need to be pretty careful about the path for your ‘@image placeholder. And it doesn’t seem to work in subfolders.

We mostly use it for Christmas cards. Best tip would be to generate static captions upon placing the image. Haven’t done this in a while but then I think they usually come in with their extension so it’s just a case of doing a find and replace and changing .jpg or whatever extension you use to a blank space.

most of the setup generally goes into the CSV file and not the actual merge file. Got to make sure all the photos are named the same as they are in the csv and you have the extensions right etc.

Not sure how familiar you are with excel but the concatenate function is great for adding the strings of text together (I.e. adding the same path to each unique file name quickly)

Christian @ 2CT Media

Can this pull the corresponding picture to the persons name? The uniqueID# has the name of the JPEG that is located in a different folder. So VAR1 can be the persons name, VAR2 is the UniqueID.jpeg but it needs to find that picture and pull it, not just put that text in. Does that make sense?
I believe in Corel to do variable images you need to use a macro. I know eCut6 has a built in tool for variable image replacement.